1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network - File Share Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by angus999, Jan 17, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

My computers are struggling to see each other on my home 'network'. I'm sure it will be something stupid that I have ommitted to do. Can anyone help please?

My desktop PC is wired through a wireless router. My laptop accesses the internet, wirelessly through the router.

Both computers are able to access the internet without problem. I have WEP security enabled. Both computers have the same 'workgroup' name. Several folders are set for 'file sharing'.

I am the only user of the machines and therefore, administrator.

The desktop has never been visible from the laptop.

The desktop, occasionally 'sees' the laptop but the files can never be viewed, being stopped by a message which mentions 'administrator'

What am I doing wrong or missing?

BTW, the desktop is running WINXP Pro and the laptop WINXP Media Ed

Thanks.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Maybe a firewall issue, try disabling them and try to access both sharing folders from each computer. If you are able to access the shared folders then you will know it's your firewall.

I have never ran into a message the said "administrator" while trying to connect to a shared folder, I would get a cannot connect message....huh,

Also are you typing in the computer name or IP address?

Example:

\\mypc or \\192.168.x.xxx

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

When you shared the folders, did you check the option to "Allow network users to change my files" ?

4. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks for the reply geestar. When I turned off Zone Alarm on both machines I could immediately see the shared files!

I could access them, i.e. play an mp3 from one PC on the other but I could not move a file from one to another.

When I turned ZA back on I could no longer see the other PC again, even on the 'medium' security setting in ZA

Any idea how I can get around the firewall, and, why when I could see and access files, I couldn't move from one to another?

I have never typed in an IP address (I wouldn't really know where to put it anyway :) )

Thanks

5. angus999

angus999 Regular member

No I didn't Morph, but then again, would that stop me from 'seeing' them?

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No it wouldn't. But I've had to have that option checked in order to copy/paste/move or delete files over the network.

However, in ZA, in the preferences section, you should have somewhere to check that allows file/printer sharing over the network. I use Sygate, and you have to check that option there as well in order to see the files/folders over the network.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  7. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I see what you mean Morph, I'm just trying to follow the ZA instructions!!

8. club42

club42 Regular member

In zone alarm go the the alerts and logs and look for an alert from the laptops IP address. Right click and choose ad to trusted zone.

9. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks guys I'll give them a try tomorrow, I'm away to work now. I've been messing around so much that somehow I've lost my internet connection for the 'wired' desktop. Gawd knows what I've done now!!

Cheers.

10. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks for your help guys, you were dead right on the firewall/Zone Alarm thingy! I disconnected my internet connection and had a play around with ZA. I clicked on the ZA help and followed the instructions for file sharing.

It took a couple of goes to get it right as some website I tried gave my IP wrongly. I followed a suggestion for the run/ipconfig and got it from there.

I think I'm about sorted now (I have even shared my printer connection!!).

I am quite computer literate but obviously whan it comes to Networking, I haven't a clue. It's new territory to me but I really should have realised that it was the firewall stopping my progress!

Well thanks very much for the assistance, Cheers!!!