1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home theater system to pc?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xxONExx, Dec 27, 2004.

1. xxONExx

xxONExx Guest

i have a shuttle motherboard and wondering if i can use the stock soundcard to interact with my home theater system? i can watch dvd's on my tv from my pc's videocard... but the sounds are coming from the computer. can i make the sounds come from my tv using the pc?

if so, what kind of cables do i need? and do i need to get another soundcard? thanks

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

if you want to go really cheapo you can grab a headphone jack to rca converter and just plug it into your sound card, then run it into the red and white connectors on the back of the home theater reciver. If the movies you downloaded are SVCD or VCD then it wont make ANY difference in sound since those are only encoded with 2 channel sound anyway. If you downloaded a full dvd then you should look at getting a sound card that has a coaxial line out (Orange RCA cable) or an optical line out (laser light) and connect it up that way. Then you will get a true serround sound out of the PC into your home theater.

3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Nice thing to get in this type of situation is a modulator if you have a near by coax connection all you do is inject a new channel on ur cable system. So the result would be from any tv on that system ull be able to tune into ur computer's video and stereo out.

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

ewwwwwww

If you are ONLY worried about getting some sort of picture with the worst sound possible then you can go that route. But if you were going to do that, you may as well go buy a second VCR and just copy VHS all day. Even those have better picture and sound than a modulator.

I may be mistaken, they could have fixed them up a lot since I saw them last. But you will never get as good a picture when you start converting it from one format to the other.

Take the picture at whatever output you have and run that right into the TV. Then take the sound right out and run that in the purest form you can. That would be either coax input or optical input. (Optical input being the better way to go)