1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home theatre

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by muzach, Mar 27, 2005.

1. muzach

muzach Member

I have two 12" MTX thunder 3000's and a 900watt car amp. My wife wants then out of the car, they take up too much trunk space. I don't want to get rid of them, but I need some subs in my home for my surround sound system. I figured that to car subs should fill the smaller room that I have my theatre set up in. Am I going to blow my receiver if I use my 4 ohm car subs in my home with that receiver. My receiver is 500watt 5.1 RCA. My thinking is that if I take the sub leads off of the receiver right into the car amp, then to the speakers, I will be fine and not blow the receiver. is that true?

2. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

Assuming you have pre-out from the receiver for the sub, you should be ok. Use the xover from the reciver and defeat the car amp xover if there is one. But how are you going to power the car amp? Truth to be told, car amps and subs are far inferior to a proper home theater sub, but it should beat not having one :)

3. muzach

muzach Member

I am open for suggestions on how to power the amp. I was thinking about getting a 12-volt regulator that i would then be able to power the amp with. is there a better way?

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you could use a car battery charger and just wire the power leads to the power in on tha amp. Just jump the remote and 12V lead on the amp so it turns on when you want.