1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Video to DVD Quality

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mafixit, May 13, 2003.

1. mafixit

mafixit Guest

Just wondering -

I have many old VHS tapes with home movies and have been uploading them to my new PC and then editing them and creating DVD's using Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator.

The final quality is not the best and I was wondering if there is any way to create a higher quality picture for my DVD off these tapes? All tapesare between 8 and 13 years old.

2. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

Not really. The output will only be as good as the source you start with although you may be able to use some filters and transcoding to clean them up some.

3. mafixit

mafixit Guest

I'm a bit new to all this digital stuff. Can someone elaborate on "filters" and "transcoding"? Or at least point me in the right direction on where to read up on this?

Thanks!

4. RSS

RSS Member

I am in the process of converting vhs tape and bringing it over to DVD. How are you uploading it to your pc?

Thanks
    Robert

5. mafixit

mafixit Guest

Through analog hook-ups attached to my Dell Computer. The box came with my Roxio movie creator program I ordered with my computer.

Karen

6. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

I never used Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator but I'm sure it does the transcoding for you. You can do it with other programs too but it wont be as simple of a process. You can read about transcoding on this site or www.doom9.org, just look for guides for TMPG, ReMPEG2, or CCE. I personally use Ulead DVD MovieFactory2 or Visual Studio7 for VHS to DVD conversion.

7. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

mafixit, there are a number of virtualdub filters that can be used to clean up some analog video nasties (ghosting, noise, colour bleeding). You can then frameserve into CCE or TMPGEnc.

I typically use the following for cleaning VHS video:

1. Steven Don's Dynamic Noise Reduction 2.1
    2. Jim Casaburi's Temporal Cleaner
    3. Christopher Wojdon's Exorcist
    4. Alexander Tchirkov's Video DeNoise 1.2
    5. flaXen's VHS filter

Sorry, no URLs. They're easy to find tho. The author's homepage usually have useful/interesting examples.

These filters each address a very specific type of noise, and they are certainly worth trying. Some of my old VHS recordings were very nasty, but I was able to clean up *some* of it.

Don't expect miracles, but some improvement is better than none, yes?

Rgds,
    jnihil.

8. mafixit

mafixit Guest

I will look into these "fixes" - thanks!

One more question -

I am looking a new digital camcorder that records movies in MPEG1 on a memory stick.

How will those transfer to DVD? Will they be decent quality? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

9. DickA

DickA Guest

I have a dazzle MPEG encoder (with their software, "Moviemaker," I think) and about 200 VHS movies, many of which have never been put on DVD (and probably won't). I want to get them off the tapes and onto VCD or SVCD as easily as possible. I doubt there is good reason to put them on DVD, right?

Dazzle's software suggests breaking the movie into chapters of about 10 minutes (I guess for the 1GB AVI limitation. I plan to do this with some of them, but there are many I just want to be able to go back and look at periodically. So the less I have to do the better.

My question is this: Is there any good reason why I can't just start recording the movie and encoding it to MPEG, and come back when it is finished, use one of the burner programs and let it be finished? I wouldn't start out that way until I know just what I'm doing, just want to make it as easy as I can. I DO realize that moving around a file that size will prohibit doing many things with it, but I think it should work if I don't mess with it. (I may have to break it down into two parts to convert to AVI but I don't plan on any menus.

I am open to any tips or suggestions. This thread seems to be closest to what I want to do, so maybe one of you have thought about this before. Will appreciate any input.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2003
  10. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Well, I honestly can't recommend capturing to mpeg streams, but if the thought of doing 200x videos make you sick, then perhaps you should go with one of the hw assisted mpeg encoder/capture boards.

There are many capture cards with hw encoders listed here, with useful comments from users:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capturecards.php?CaptureCard=&mpeg1=1&mpeg2=1&Submit2=Search&Search=Search

Worth having a good look. Just don't expect these devices to perform funky VBR encoding tho. I have the Canopus Storm/Encoder and the quality goes nowhere near CCE. Still, it's a nice thing to have, just in case I need it...

Rgds,
    jnihil.