1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homebrew software?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by UPENYA, Oct 8, 2007.

1. UPENYA

UPENYA Member

Hey, I'm kinda new to the termanology behind homebrew, cud som1 help me understand what does it mean and where does that word originate and more to it that I coudn't possibly think I can ask you a question on, Thanks!!!

2. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

the most common homebrew is placed in eboot.pbp format. eboot.pbps are the official update firmwares from sony but they can also be used to run unsigned code (things sony has NOT approved). however homebrew can not be run on firmware above 1.51 (official firmwares only). there are other firmware such as OE and M33 firmware that are a mixture of the newer kernels of system version 3.71 annd a mixture of 1.50. So it lets you keep homebrew and all new features of newer firmware.

ok so there is other homebrew such as portals. these are sort of mini things that can be run in the web browser and doesnt require 1.50 homebrew.

how to get homebrew thought. there is free downgraders from firmware 1.51-2.80, 2.81 to 3.03 requre a copy of GTA LCS unpatched. 3.10-3.50 requre LUMINES. 3.51+ requires a universal unbricker and ddowngrader called the pandora.

THIS will answer any unsolved questions. if u cant find what you're looking for there. im glad to help you right here.

3. UPENYA

UPENYA Member

Thanks, but I think I dont understand this unless I know the basics of what a PSP is like and what needs to be done to it to maximise performance, please could you explain this in simpler words...Sorry to be a pain :(

4. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

okay well basicaly stuff that is made by developers or third party (umm...people). this can mean making new firmwre (versions) for the psp. it can mean making a program to use the psp to its full advantage. the psp has normal icons and sony doesnt allow it to be changed (until newer versions but anyways they copied that from our homebrew developer). but anyways, homebrew allows the icons to be changed.... you can use your psp to control your tv. you can play games and listen to music. you can hack your favourite games.....

i dun think i can be simpler than that^^ lol

5. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

Hi, what are these icons you talk about :)?

j/k, anyway, where would one find a cheap copy of the original lumines? Just interested, already have a universal unbricker v3

6. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

ebay. the prices have dropped maybe 20 bucks now due to the unfortunate release of the pandora :( its a shame i should have sold lumines earlier... oh well :(

7. UPENYA

UPENYA Member

How do I Downgrade a Firmware, do I need to be a Programmer :D

8. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

no u need a downgrader lol.... 2.80 and lower can be downgraded for fre.... 2.81-3.03 requres gta lcs unpatched and 3.10-3.50 requires Lumines... 3.51+ requires a pandoras ab ttery and memory stick.

9. UPENYA

UPENYA Member

Aww, hmm ok after downgrading it, just dowload games huh?

10. DEVINRL

DEVINRL Regular member

backup games. Yup.

11. Dr1ver

Dr1ver Regular member

This is a good web site to download all the stuff u need to downgrade, updates, CFW installers, any homebrew software out there ( http://dl.qj.net/PSP/catid/106 ).
    The main thing that I would suggest to you is to always read the instructionl; the reason for this is that because it has not been aproved by sony many of the homebrew have glitches that can brick your psp, this is not common in every homebrew though and if there are big problems they are usually fixed fast.

hope this helps.

12. nomorelie

nomorelie Member

how do you know what version of psp ur having in order to downgrade it?since you need to know your version to use a specific program to downgrade it. n does downgrading it will void its warranty?..

13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Downgrading doesn't void warranty as Sony can't prove you've altered the firmware (Through flash0 access), however, if they can prove you have altered the PSP flash0 outide of Sony approved software limits then yes, the warranty is void.

You can find out your present System Software Version (Firmware) by going to Options > System Settings > System Information.

14. nomorelie

nomorelie Member

ookay..so, as long as they dont know it is running on homebrew firmware, the warranty's still intact?..
    if i re-upgrade it to a sony approved firmware, will they know it was running on homebrew firmware before?

15. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

I doubt it, it doesnt say anywhere on your PSP what firmwares you have had plus i doubt they would really care too much.