1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homebrewed DS vs. HMBed psp?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by PointGod, Apr 29, 2007.

1. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

i have a chance at getting a DS lite or psp for free. (yes, legally lol)

I'm looking into the homebrew scene for both and at first I was leaning to the DS because of the quality DS games it has out and what not. But now I am leaning towards PSP since I found out you can play GBA games and whatnot too.

With the DS, the m3 simply looks like a good buy, but I would also want to play GBA games so I dont know how that would work. I've heard about the DS-Xtreme but that is really expensive and has limited memory.

which would you all reccomend and why? (I realize I am asking in the DS forum, but i still want your opinions as to why you would reccomend a certain one). Please and Thanks

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I personally prefer my PSP for homebrew *ducks from DS fanboys* because it has a much larger following and the power of the console makes it much better for emulation etc. recently the scene has been moving slowly with not many actual homebrew being released just custome firmwares and themes etc.

I find the DS however has a much better collection of retail games, this is in part due to the touch screen , but also because it seems the games have actually been thought about, not just ported or "just another *insert genre* game"

As for playing GBA games with an M3 Simply (or any other slot-1 device) you can't. You can however buy a slot-2 device to go with it, the most expensive being the M3 Lite (as it can do everything the Simply can) and the cheaper, but probably better option being the EZ Flash 3-1, which is not only cheaper, but also gives you RAM expansion and rumble support too.

3. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

With those slot 2 devices you mentioned for the NDS, are they flush with the NDS or do they stick out?

I agree with the NDS games, when I go to gamespot or IGN and look at NDS games, they all look so fun (pokemon and finaly fantasy.. arghh) if only the psp could SOMEHOW emulate the DS lol.
    does the DS have any apps for browsing the web? I know it has mail and what not, but I havent found any for actual web browsing (not including the $40 opera one)

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Both the devices I mentioned are designed for the DS Lite and do not stick out at all.

I believe there is 1 homebrew browser, but it requires something to be running on your computer for it to work (you can still access internet anywhere with a hotspot, but your computer at home needs to be on)
    DSorganize has a built in web browser, but it is not yet fully functional, with things like forms not working, and it is text only.

The Opera rom can be run from the Simply, providing you also have one of the slot-2 devices I mentioned in a previous post.

5. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

Oh the Opera ROM can be downloaded too? do you use that, that sounds like a good deal, if only the voip was complete, DS would have everything, (except for games with good graphics)

6. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes the Opera rom can be downloaded, but it needs some sort of RAM to work, hence the need for a slot-2 device, the M3 Lite has RAM which the Opera rom can be patched to use, and the EZ Flash 3-1 has purpose made RAM to act just like the real RAM expansion.
    I don't use Opera as I don't have either of those slot-2 devices (i have an M3CF, but it's RAM dosn't work with Opera) I am thinking of getting the EZ Flash 3-1 sometime soon though.

7. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

whoa!! (slot 2 devices)
    Checking this site http://www.kickgaming.com/ezflash-c-24.html

the m3 Lite is like $70 while the EZ Flash is less than $30. Can you put in a memory card in the EZ Flash to store more GBA games?

edit: would the supercard and superkey lite be a good combo from that site, would it also load Opera?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The EZ Flash 3-1 only stores 1 gamea at a time, but what you do is store howvere many GBA games you want on the M3 DS Simply and then it copies the GBA game onto the EZ Flash to load it.

I don't recommend supercards as i have only ever had problems with them, especially regarding GBA games.

9. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

wow thats pretty clever! how would you copy it over though? I dont see how to actually transfer anything to the EZ Flash. and like... you say it only stores one game, but is there a size limit on the game? (it can play original GB games too right? not just GBA? and what about NES?)

im really sorry for all the Qs, but I am considering buying NDS

10. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It does it all the transfering through the DS, you store the game on the MicroSD of the Simply, and it loads it from there into the memory of the EZFlash. Size limit will be the maximum amount of memory the EZFlash has, which I believe is 32MB, more than any GBA game. Largest game i can think of is Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, and that can fit in the ram of my M3, so it can fit on the EZFlash.

I'm not sure about playing GB games from the EZFlash (as GB game have to be emulated on the DS) this is the same for NES. You will have to research to see if GBA mode emulators for the GB and NES work from the EZ Flash.

11. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

alright thank you very much... and as for slot 1... do you reccommend M3 simply or R4?

12. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I personally would go for the M3 as I have used previous products from them, however both the M3DSS and R4DS are identical, infact they're built in the same factory.

The R4DS gets it's firmware updates about 1-2 days before the M3.

It also seems that the M3 gets the black/grey shell and the R4 gets the white shell.

13. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

which do you personally use more? PSP or the NDS?
    what kind of apps do you have on NDS?

14. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I use them both equally, but i tend to go from one console to another depending on new game releases etc.
    I am currently playing through Pokemon on my DS for example.

I currently have the following apps on my DS:
    Moonshell
    DSorganize
    DSLinux (on my M3CF)
    Licks Media Player (iPod Clone)
    might have a couple of others, but thats all i can think of from the top of my head

15. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

Those new Pokemon games look ok... diamond and pearl? can you actually battle and trade with people all over the world? (using rom?)

16. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

If that is part of the game, yes. I'm just going through the story, don't give a crap about battling or trading with people i've never met.

17. PointGod

PointGod Regular member

The battling part doesnt sound bad, just to test your pokemon out against other people.

hey, take a look at the vid, its short... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBQgf_tipeA
    he's using EZ Flash (its slot 2) and he is playing NDS games from slot 2 ... does that mean EZ Flash can play NDS and GBA games just from that one slot (slot 2)?

edit: also, with the PSP, can you play the psp games(that you loaded from the mem card) online against other ppl?

18. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I havn't checked the video but he is probably using the EZ Flash IV, this is not the 3-1 I mentioned. the EZ Flash IV has similar functions to slot-2 M3's (such as the M3 Lite)

EDIT: Just checked the video (only the first few seconds, and it is the EZ Flash IV) Note that he might not of mentioned that he is also using a Pass device or has FlashMe installed on his DS to be able to load that in DS mode.

The PSP can go online with other people providing the game supports it, there is also a way to play against people online using normal PSP-PSP multiplayer, but you need to do a PC setup, and use a program called xLink Kai (which most xbox modders should know of)