1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook up 2 burners?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by crzyhrse, Feb 20, 2005.

1. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

Hi all my question is this, i have 2 nec 3520 burners and i am hooking them up to there own channels, my hard drives are sata and on a controller card so both channels are free, I believe i should hook them both up as master, my system is a asus p4p800 deluxe motherboard, 2.6c cpu, 2gb ram, ati 9600 video card, audigy 2 sound card, asus tv/fm tuner, with this set up do you think the way i want to hook it up is ok to do 2 movies at once? i have to cd burners and it worked out fine, but i know dvd is a bit different. thanks in advanced.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It should. That is how I have mine hooked up and I have succesfully made 2 copies of one movie at the same time. I don't do that a lot but I have done several like that with no problems. That is the prefered method for hooking up your drives.

3. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

Thank you for replying, i also want to burn 2 different files not just the same to both drives.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I dont know about that I never tried it? It looks like your system would handel it though all you can do is try.

5. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Same movie to both drives = Good :)
    Differnt movie to each drive = Bad :(

First you would have to try and run two differnt burning apps at the same time, no a good idea. Second anything above 1x would require too much processing power to acurately send different info to two differnt drives.

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi
    I was just reading this thread and got interested--If I had that setup, I would try it with a couple of RW disks just for fun and see what happens. My guess is that DSYF3R is correct--I have a feeling that even if you had a super fast processor (3.8 or more) it would be tough--but just for kicks--why not RW it?
    Have fun!

Whitfield

7. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

Yea i think i will give it a try with some rw's, when i had the hook up for cd burners i always did 2 different discs, but then again dvd is so much larger and takes more time, I will let you guys know the progress I am making with it as i begin during the week.....thanks for the suggestions and help guys. I have been coming to this board for a long time just was too lazy to sign up, now that i did i'm glad i did....

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Yeah, keep us posted, I would be curious--If you need any help with DVD burning, come on back--these people are real experts--I learned almost everything I know about DVD burning here--now have backed up quite a few---some new DVD's have a new Aarcos encryption that gave me lots of trouble--came in here checked out a few threads (lots of folks had the same trouble)and learned a whole new way to do it. Happy Burning--

Whitfield

9. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

cool, i was going to post about the new css, and ways around it, thanks for the heads up.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Of course you're aware that your Video card, Audio card and tuner have nothing to do with eggs in China -

When we burn 2 discs at the same time it's processor intensive to say the very least BUT nero allows us to do it. I would try a higher end burner like CopyToDVD for one drive and Nero for the second - and don't even think about doing anything else.

It's been my experience that the burning goes so slowly that you would save time by burning one after the other BUT give it a try yourself - I suggest you time it both ways as I did -

Cheers,

11. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

Thank you

12. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

OK guys i have done about 30 movies the past few days, burning 2 different movies at the same time is no problem at all, no coasters and speed is about normal considering i'm doing 2 at once, 35 minutes for both, i know alot of you will say it's not worth doing it that way but i don't mind the few extra minutes since i'm doing 2 movies at once.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I was rather curious about this thread so I had to try this. I succesfully burned 2 differnt movies at the same time twice. I did the first test at x4 speed and all went perfect in 14min I had 2 good back up's of differrent movies :). Second test I did was at x8 and again all went fine I had 2 good back ups in 9min. Get this I did both burns at the same time with Nero! Yep I just opened Nero up twice and away I went.. I wouldn't recommend doing it this way to anyone, but my system had no problem's and I would have to disagree about burning being processor intinsive as my CPU usage never rose above 50% while doing this. I only have a AMD XP2400 in the machine I was doing the testing on. So it does work, but I think I would be to scared that it could cause problems sooner or later, and the time saved isn't really all that important unless I guess you are backing up 10 movies a day or something like that... Just thought I would let everyone know how my test went :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  14. crzyhrse

crzyhrse Member

maybe i should try doing both on nero you got them done in 14minutes at 4x mine was close to 35 using dvd creator and nero. my cpu stayed steady at 23% during the process.