1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOOK UP VCR OR DVD TO COMPUTER TO COPY MOVIE ON COMPUTER

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Pattie, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Pattie

Pattie Member

Recently I made up a movie on Windows Movie Maker. I saved it on my computer and on a floppy disk. Here is my question: I want to transfer this movie to either a VHS tape (hooking up the VCR to my computer) or a DVD (hooking up a DVD to my computer). I want to be able to watch this movie that was created on Windows Movie Maker on my TV. Does anyone know how this can be done? It is so important to me. Can either a VCR or DVD be connected to my PC so that I can do as I mentioned. I am very anxious to get this answer as the movie is for a dear friends 80th birthday. Thanks!

2. conb1977

conb1977 Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

To Pattie: What program did you create the movie in, and what is the extension of the movie file? Do you have a DVD burner in your computer?

To conb1977: With VCD, you get a poor quality picture, if you burn that way. SVCD is somewhat better, but there again, you are recording a movie to a CD. You can't expect much doing that.

You get far better quality burning a movie to a DVD, no matter what the length of that movie, be it 10 minutes or an hour.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  4. Pattie

Pattie Member

Hi;
    The program that I am working with is Windows Movie Maker and that is the type of file that I am saving it in. It is the only way. However, I feel that if I can change the type of file to a compatible one, I would have much better luck. Now, how do I change the file type??? Windows Movie Maker will not make me change the type file but I know that there is a way? Any suggestions? Thanks,

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I think that, in Windows Movie Maker, you can save your movie as WMA or AVI. You want to save your movie as AVI, at the highest quality setting.

To get that AVI file burned to a DVD, it first has to be encoded to MPEG2, which is the standard for DVD movies.

There are numerous programs to do that encoding: Nero and Roxio EMC7 are my preferences.

6. Hellsfury

Hellsfury Member

I had a related question on this subject. I am attempting to hook up my DVD, VCR and TV to my computer so that my mom can transfer content on VCRs to the hard disk and to DVDs and visa versa. Anyone know of any converter products i can use for this?

7. Hellsfury

Hellsfury Member

On an additional note how would I go about exporting my video signals to my TV?

8. dkh

dkh Member

Hauppauge sells a device that will enable you to listen to and watch digital music, pictures and videos on your TV set, from your PC over your home Ethernet LAN. They also have devices that enable you to watch TV, VCR and DVD on your computer. I have the latter device and it works well.

This is not an endorsement for Hauppauge. Do a search PC to TV and/or TV to PC for other products.

9. Pattie

Pattie Member

Thanks, do you know the name of this product? And with this product do you need to have a video card instaled on your computer??? If I can do this, I certainly will. I am at a desparte incident! Thanks,

10. dkh

dkh Member