1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hooking up a DVR to a DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by JFrame19, Feb 28, 2007.

1. JFrame19

JFrame19 Member

Hello I purchased the Toshiba DRW2 DVD recorder a few days ago and I waas trying to hook it up to my Scientific America Explorer 8000HD DVR. When I think I successfully hook it up correctly I can only hear the sound through the DVD recorder and don't get a picture. For the DVR I have the red, blue, and green plugs connected from the TV. into the spot marked HDTV. I also have red, white, and yellow plugs going into the DVR from the TV into a spot marked input video and audio. There is a spot on the DVR marked audio out in which I have the red and white plugs, there is no yellow plug, there is a blue plug so I have the yellow video connected to a spot above that says VCR archive with the red and white plugs which are plugged in the far left side of the DVD recorder in the video in and audio in plugs. On back of the DVD recorder I also have the red, white, and yellow plugs connected to the TV. I do not have any antenas going from the DVR to the DVD Recorder could that be a problem? Also, on the back of the DVD recorder there is nothing plugged into the blue, green, red plugs, could this also be a problem? I am truly exhausted from trying to figure this problem out, so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. blankers

blankers Member

You only need an antenna in the dvd recorder if you want to record normal terrestrial tv.
    It's not easy from what you say to know what connections you have but if you're just looking to record off the dvr box I would suggest you connect wires as follows:

red,green,blue DVR - TV
    red,white,yellow DVR (vcr archive) - DVD (video in)
    red,white,yellow DVD (video out) - TV (video in)

Good luck..........

3. JFrame19

JFrame19 Member

I did exactly what you said and still no picture, any ideas why?

Thanks
    Jason

4. blankers

blankers Member

Do you get a picture on the tv when you play a dvd in ths recorder ?

5. JFrame19

JFrame19 Member

Yes I do.

6. blankers

blankers Member

Jframe,
    After doing some investigation, it seems you might not be able to do it using the vcr archive sockets. Seems they have been disabled !!
    This is a quote from a site I found :

"I have the new 8000HD... Mixed bag with this one.

It functions well, but the DVI output as well as the VCR Archive outputs are disabled until " a software patch" is sent. Come on...

The site is http://www.gearbits.com/archives/000173.html
    You might want to check it out. Doesn't look good though......

The only other way I can suggest is:

red/green/blue DVR - DVD (composite in)
    red/green/blue DVD (composite out) - TV

This will then play the DVR through the DVD to the TV. You will probably need to have the DVD switched on all the time you are watching tv and it will need to be set for aux/av1/av3 or whatever the composite in (on the DVD) is labelled.
    To test it play a dvd on the tv. Then switch on the DVR and change the chanel on the DVD to aux or av1 or av2, until you see the DVR picture. You will then be watching the DVR through the DVD and pressing 'record' will record whatever's coming out of the DVR.

Hope it's clear......Good luck !

p.s the colours of the leads don't matter...if you don't have red/green/blue you can use the red/white/yellow ones....as long as the correct out's go to the correct in's....if you see what I mean !