1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoping to clear up an issue I keep seeing. I also need a little help.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Stevenam, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Stevenam

Stevenam Member

I keep seeing people say that if a game doesn't work you should try a different brand DVD-R. Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think the game itself works on some DVD-Rs but not on others. If you copy a game to a DVD and its a successful copy then its just that, a successful copy. The problem is the player. Some players dont play certain DVD-Rs. I believe if you find a type of DVD-R that plays on your PS2, stick with that brand. For example, some people say they use Memorex DVD+Rs on their PS2 and it works. If it works for one game it should work for all games. I have a version 4 PS2 with a no solder mod chip. I have Swap Magic 2 discs on order but for now I have been using Gameshark version 2. I have got the following games to work using only the no solder mod chip and the gameshark.

Manhunt
    The Simpsons: Hit and Run
    NBA Jam
    Max Payne 2
    Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

There are 2 games I can't get to work though. Tony Hawk's Underground and NFL Blitz Pro. I burned them the same way as the others. When I make the swap using gameshark it acts like it is going to load but then the screen stays black and nothing happens. This happens on both of those games. The other games play fine. I use Mortal Kombat Deady Alliance for the TOC. I have a Sony DRU-510A DVD +-R/+-RW burner. I use DVD Decrypter to make the ISO and RecordNow DX to burn the image on a TDK DVD-R at 2X. I'm hoping that these games will work when my swap magic 2 discs arrive but I have seen a post saying Tony Hawk's Underground didn't work with SM. I know its not the media I am using. My PS2 likes the TDK DVD-Rs. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get those games to load? I tried burning them twice so it wasn't just a fluke. When I view the DVD on my PC it reads the same as the original.

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

am I to assume you have checked to make sure that the mortal kombat TOC is larger then the games that don't work? 'cause that's the only thing I can see that might be a problem.

3. Stevenam

Stevenam Member

Yeah, I've been thinking its a TOC issue but I found a list of games with their TOC sizes and Mortal Kombat is above the Swap Magic 2 TOC. I also have Grand Theft Auto 3. It was very high on the list. I used it first but it didn't load any of the games I tried. GTA3 wouldn't even load Manhunt. Mortal Kombat has loaded them all except the two I mentioned so I have stuck with it. I have tried loading Tony Hawk with other games with no luck. How can I check a discs TOC? I'm hoping Swap Magic will work with it but I have seen posts saying it doesn't. I have also seen posts saying the game works fine. But that might be people with soldered mod chips.

4. pureplyr0

pureplyr0 Member

I got My backup of Tony Hawk Undergroudn working fine. I used cheap COMP USA brand and have the same exact burner as you. I made the image with alchohol 120 % trial and burned it. Then i used my slide card. At first it didnt work but on my second attempt it did. Once u get the green or blue borders with your slidecard you jsut have to wait for awhile and then it will load up. Then it starts up your game and takes a little longer than normal loading the levels and the rest is fine. Try that...also if that doesnt work are you burning at 1X?

5. Stevenam

Stevenam Member

pureplyr0 - What are you using to boot? Gameshark or Swap Magic? And if you are using gameshark what game do you use for the TOC?

6. Stevenam

Stevenam Member

Ok, I don't think its a problem with the TOC. I used the original Tony Hawk's Underground for the TOC and the screen still stays black. Is this a game that might need the cd loader?