1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hoplessly burning duds

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sarcriste, Dec 11, 2003.

1. sarcriste

sarcriste Member

To any one that can help.

I have been reading the board for some time ... trying to get info before i began to back up my PS2 games. I decided to take the plunge. i have the following system:

Dell Work station P3
    128 Mb Sdram
    Sony dvd +/- rw dru-500a
    software: nero 6+, Alcohol 120%, DVD Decrypter, RecordNow DX, RecordNow, and a copy of DVD X Copy (have not used yet)
    Media Tried: generic -r 1X, Fujifilm +r 2X, and TDK -r 2X.

(yeah I know the system is ancient)

Anyway... I have tried almost all of the software listed above, and get errors most of the time during writing phase (DVD Decrypter, Record Now, and Nero). The times that I have been able to churn out a finished product the disk is as good as a frisbee (useless for anything other than chucking at some one).

I have followed the guides provided on the board, tried numerous tweeks, and combinations of media, and software. I have downloaded new firmware for my burner, and changed settings whenever possible.

I am using a US PS2 version 4, swap magic 2.0, and a flip top.

now for the questions:

is it time for a PC upgrade? (I will be doing this soon any way)

should i try another type of DVD+/-R?

Is My Swap magic Disc screwed?... (i have even tried the swap tecnique with a regular PS@ game, and got a bad burn indicator (pink border))

shouyld I try another form of MOD?

Sorry for the rambling

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm not really too sure about the swapping technique as how I use a no-swap mod chip but if your computer is completing the burn process successfully, you should have a good backup. Your v4 PS2 more than likely is not +R compatible although I've heard on this forum that some people's v4's will run +R's, but again, that's not likely. Media quality could also be an issue with the older PS2's. I recommend you try to get hold of some Verbatim -R's and burn them at 1x and give them a try in your machine. Note also that the burn speed is a factor. I strongly recommend burning as slow as your recorder will go. If you try all that, I would say your burning and media is not likely the problem and start looking at your swap technique again.

3. jbomar71

jbomar71 Member

i burn all my ps2 games using the decrypter, never had a bad burn yet. i have a v4 and i use sony dvd+r and they work perfect.

4. gokuson

gokuson Member

make sure when u put ur backup in your fliptop that the disk is in all the way .. you will know if you turn the center piece and your cd spins.. i had a problem loading them for awhile then i figured that out.

5. Megadeth

Megadeth Regular member

There are 4 versions of PSX2 V4, believe me I've checked everywhere... Some versions work with the newer disc's , some don't... At least that's what I get from all the forums.. If you don't want to pay to get a newer system, the only answer I got is... Buy top of the line DVD-R's... Anyway... Hope it helps...

6. Megadeth

Megadeth Regular member

Check here for your version...

www.ps2-chips.com/PS2_Version_Identification_Guide.htm

7. sarcriste

sarcriste Member

Thanks to all the people that added their solution to my problem. I was able to burn a game, and play it successfully. i think the problem was the way i was loading it

8. hectar

hectar Guest

All is not lost, you've just gave me a great idea for naming my new band..."HOPELESSLY BURNING DUDS."
    We're a-gonna be big. But as don't a-wanna any of you hombres a-burnin copies of ma moosic, ya hear y'all.

Ol Hectar