1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap with laptop/external usb-ide

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by coldswap, Dec 1, 2010.

1. coldswap

coldswap Member

Ive been trying to hotswap with a laptop and an external usb-ide as I do not have access to a PC. I messed up my xbox hd by ftping an updated xmbc over to my just modded xbox with xmbc installed, and it hanged halfway and the connection was lost. Now it just wouldnt get past the xmbc logo, and the game hack wouldnt work anymore.

I tried the method on this site but xplorer360 keeps giving me an error saying no FATX drive is found. Windows seem to be able to detect the drive as it appears in device manager. I tried unlocking when microsoft logo pops up, error 11 with dvddrive disconnected. Can anyone help me?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ahhh.. the saga of usb-ide .. doesn't work in 90% of hardware combinations ..

you are going to need an old pc from somewhere to get past this problem.. xbmc strikes again .. hehehehehehe

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

have you tried cold booting halo2 and going to live settings and letting the dash update? .. that can sometimes solve these screwups.

bizarre/.. edit function bug ..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. coldswap

coldswap Member

Guess I cant do anything about it then. Tried it but goes to black screen. Is there no workaround to boot into something else other than xmbc and enable ftp?

5. remorsed

remorsed Member

i don't think usb will work since its not primary i would just find a old computer with ide cables in it and follow a hotswap tut from their

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I suggested putting halo2 or similar in BEFORE powering up.. not after.. it should boot the game.. what happens after that is rather random.. otherwise.. yup.. screwed completely unless you can grab an old p2 or similar from somewhere.. doesn't need to be a hot box..(I have used a 486 with 16mb's ram before now) any old junkheap with a cd drive will do.

the problem with xbmc is very simple.. the people who made it were retards who couldn't get the dash files called the same damn thing from one release to the next.. obvious amateurs they quite blatantly didn't know that xbmc.xbe and XBMC.XBE are totally different from the point of view of the linux exploit bootloader.. as is Xbmc.xbe and dash.xbe.. stupidity of the first order.... same applies across the hundreds of files which make up the skin.. every one needed to be just right to boot and not crash...

THAT is why I tell people NEVER to use it as a main dash.. it's just too unstable and unreliable.. and updating it is guaranteed death unless you make damn sure EVERY important file is named properly first..