1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about this: (VOB)->(MPEG-2)->(edited MPEG-2)->(DVD-R)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by gavin, Jan 16, 2002.

1. gavin

gavin Member

I know how to rip the files off a DVD. Now I want to edit the program content and then record it back to DVD-R, avoiding recompression for all possible frames. I realize I may have to make all the edits on I-frames, and that's OK.

The question is: Do we have the technology?

Thanks for any info.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Depends a little bit how you want to edit the content?

3. gavin

gavin Member

If you're asking what kind of edits I want to make, I think simple cuts should suffice. Let's say I want to make a collection of favorite scenes.

If you mean what tools I want to use, I don't really care. I have Premiere and Vegas Video, and the various downloadable items like TMPGenc. I'm imagining a procedure like this:
    1. Demultiplex a VOB into its MPEG-2 video and AC-3 audio.
    2. Wrap the MPEG-2 video up as an AVI, and convert the AC-3 into wave files.
    3. Load all the files into Vegas and edit there.
    4. Save the MPEG-2 video into whatever format (?) and rewrite the edited audio as AC-3 using Sonic Foundry's AC-3 plug-in.
    5. Mix 'em back into a new VOB file.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2002
  4. dRD

Umh, you need to re-encode stuff by using that method. Let's assume you just want to cut clips of videos and nothing more, no fancy effects or anything, then try something like this:

-rip the VOBs
    -demultiplex VOBs with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools (not sure if this is necessary, probably not)
    -use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools to cut/join the clips you want into another MPEG-2 file (no re-encoding, see)
    -use some tool to create new IFOs, VOB wrappers and the rest of the VIDEO_TS directory out of the MPEG-2 files you just created (SpruceUp should do the trick)
    -burn the DVD with Nero.

5. gavin

gavin Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I suspect that most editing apps won't be intelligent enough to avoid recompression outside the keyframes that straddle the edits, even though they should be.

I just loaded up TMPGenc briefly, but I didn't find any file-opening functions that understood VOB files. How do you read VOBs into TMPGenc? And, if you have to demultiplex, how do you make simultaneous audio and video cuts?

6. dRD

If I recollect correctly, v2.50 can't open VOBs, but I just tried few earlier versions and they worked nicely. It MIGHT also be some codec issue, but I doubt it.

7. gavin

gavin Member

I wonder why that would have been removed. I only have the latest version, and the file dialogs don't even include the VOB extension among those it looks for.

8. dRD

None of the versions include the VOB as a selection in file dialogs, but 12i and 2.0 that I tried on my home computer, both support VOBs as an input format.

9. gavin

gavin Member

Yeah, I tried selecting a VOB file and the program did indeed give me a list of contents. However, upon trying to demultiplex it, the program fails every time. It acts as though it's going to start reading, but then locks up and does nothing. I know the VOBs are OK, because I can view their video contents with other tools.

The tabbed dialog in the TMPGEnc "MPEG tools" doesn't even make sense. It has options for "simple" and more-detailed demultiplexing, but they may conflict. There's one "run" button for the whole collection of tabs, so which set of settings is it going to use? It also doesn't tell you or let you specify what the output files should be for audio and video.

TMPGEnc may be a good encoder (don't know yet), but so far the other tools are a total failure.

10. dRD

Hm, I think that TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools offer one of the easiest demuxing/musing/cutting solutions for MPEGs. And yeah, the demux process doesn't show any indicator of progress, but check your HDD and see if it is actually writing those files when you suspect that it has "hanged".

11. eminesco

eminesco Guest

you can try something else..Use vob spliter to split a vob into , let's say, 10 pieces...play them and keep only the ones you want..no encoding, no nothing...Then merge all resulting little vobs into one, use quickbuilderdemo and make a movie...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2002
  12. eminesco

eminesco Guest

and you don't need to split a hole vob...with smartripper you can rip only one chapter, like 200 mb, from a vob....it will make a 200 mb vob..split that.

13. gavin

gavin Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to make fairly precise cuts, so maybe I'll try the TMPGEnc tools again on a smaller VOB and see if it's actually doing anything during the demux process.