1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How badly do Memorex 16x DVD-Rs ruin SlimPS2 lasers?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rockmanzx, Jun 3, 2007.

1. rockmanzx

rockmanzx Member

I'm currently using a v14 (SCPH-75001)

I'm asking this because I just generally have a bad history with Playstation lasers. I'm mostly just playing PS1 games due to the fact that PS1 games are less harder on the laser.

Yes...I'm an idiot..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Just use Sony DVD+Rs or verbatim DVD+Rs or quallity DVD+Rs overall.

3. rockmanzx

rockmanzx Member

I thought DVD+Rs were harder on PS2 lasers than DVD-Rs?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. JDevil

JDevil Member

they are harder on the laser.. use verbatim dvd-r's..or go to supermediastore.com and buy some taiyo yuden dvd-r's.. the chemicals they use in both of those brands are the best and won't break down like memorex or maxell discs..don't use anything else or else your laser will crap out on you.. it's a world of difference between making cd's and dvd's than making ps2 games..the lasers are very fragile..be good to it and it will be good to you. i've been doing this for a long long time so trust me..and make sure you're burning the games @ 4x speed. you wont have any problems.

5. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

I thought DVD+Rs were good for v15?

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Actually, the only reason I haven't bothered playing any PSX games or CD-based PS2 games on my PS2 anymore is because from what I've overheard around here, playing CDs in general stresses and actually is harder on the laser; hence, why I've converted my CD-based PS2 games to a multi-game compilation on DVDs when I can like Growlanser Generations and play my PSX games on a PSX emu. I found this out the hard way when I spent so much time with Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7 (PS2 CD-based game, blue-colored) although I'm just speaking from personal experience after examining what people have said about playing CDs with the PS2.

Quotes rockmanzx: "I thought DVD+Rs were harder on PS2 lasers than DVD-Rs"

Actually, if you have one of those very picky, peculiar slim PS2 models like my v15 PS2, and it refuses to read DVD-Rs, you'll be forced to, like me, in using DVD+Rs to burn your games to. The only thing I can think of where the media difference hurts is the extra cost from purchasing DVD+Rs compared to DVD-Rs especially from supermediastore.com and buying Taiyo Yudens. If you wanted to avoid this problem and save yourself a small fortune, you may want to consider switching over to an older gen fat PS2 because the laser tends to have better readability from reading DVD-Rs compared to DVD+Rs but of course the results could be exactly the same in some scenarios too.

Quotes JDevil: "they are harder on the laser.. use verbatim dvd-r's..or go to supermediastore.com and buy some taiyo yuden dvd-r's.. the chemicals they use in both of those brands are the best and won't break down like memorex or maxell discs..don't use anything else or else your laser will crap out on you"

Just for your information rockmanzx about the difference in media quality, let's think of it this way. If you were to compare burning a game on a Memorex -- the atrocious CMC MAGs (CMC MAGs = media ID) -- with burning the same game on a quality DVD media brand like Taiyo Yuden, when playing both games with your slim PS2, which do you notice has more stuttering, slight freezes and pauses, and longer than usual loading times (if you compare your burnt copy with your originals like Tales of the Abyss is a prime example and nice measuring comparison...)? The difference is astronomical really if you compare specific games and not only that but try hearing your laser working. Literally, try hearing it. You may actually notice the harder your laser has to push itself on bad quality media like Memorex, the worse the game appears with that particular media, doesn't it? Which results in your laser wearing out faster with bad media than using quality media. Also, when burning games on quality media, the results can/will be nearly identical to the original in terms of quality and performance. Well, hope that helps.

7. rockmanzx

rockmanzx Member

Unfortunately, I lack the funds necessary to order Taiyo Yudens online. So I'm stuck with buying blank DVD+-Rs from stores. So, Verbatim DVD+-Rs are a good choice?

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, Verbatim will work just fine.
    Short and simple. The better quality your media is, the better quality your results will be. A game backed up on good media (either DVD-R Or DVD+R booktyped to DVD-Rom) will perform just like the original disc as far as quality. But your PS2 has a lot to do with it. I used Phillips, which are CMC Mag, for over a year. They work flawless, I have had no laser issues, and they rarely if ever fail to work. Yet in my friends machine they will not play correctly. I have since switched to Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD-R which also work flawless for PS2, Xbox & movie back ups.

I am not sure about the whole funds thing, i do not know many retail stores that sell Verbatim disc cheaper than an online store like Newegg.com or Supermediastore.com
    example.
    Verbatim 16X DVD-R 50 pack
    Best Buy $29.99 + tax
    Supermediastore $23.99 no tax online and free shipping
    Newegg.com $15.99 + shipping
    and the one's at Newegg and Supermediastore are with the AZO dye which is about the best your going to get. Plus most stores do not carry 8X which i prefer way more than the 16X
    50 pack of Verbatim Datalife 8X DVD-R are only $14.49 + shipping at Newegg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  9. jin666

jin666 Regular member

Very good steimy. I myself have always been a fan of Verbitam and regularly buy the 50 packs of DVD-R's. I myself am from the UK and they generally range from between £15-£20.

10. JDevil

JDevil Member

i have 2 fat ps2's..one chipped and one with a flip top..if you do a lot of gaming and thinking about getting a modded ps2 definitly stick with the fat model..the thing i hate about the slim is the tendency for them to over heat. and the v15's being so picky with what media you use.. i would rather use dvd-r's for dvd and game backups.. i have made a few back-ups that are on memorex discs and yes you can hear that they spin a little louder than verbs..

11. rockmanzx

rockmanzx Member

Really? From what I've observed (from opening up the top when It's on), PS1 CDs (Memorex, Imation CD-R and original) spin slower than PS2 DVDs. I don't even think the laser comes on when I use a CD-R

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  12. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

"Really? From what I've observed (from opening up the top when It's on), PS1 CDs (Memorex, Imation CD-R and original) spin slower than PS2 DVDs. I don't even think the laser comes on when I use a CD-R"

Depends what you're playing. Those blue-colored PS2 CD-based games are the ones that really wreck havoc on your PS2's laser honestly. The same can be said about PSX games when playing them on your PS2 but to a much lesser degree than playing those wretched blue discs. It's such a sad thing too since I finally found time to try and play Growlanser Generations hence why I've been trying to ask someone to help me patch GLGN to DVDR since DVD Scan by Sonix doesn't work. Anyway, I should have been more specific in my previous post, my fault and sorry for the confusion. The slim PS2s last horribly short compared to an old fat PS2 because the slim PS2 uses the same laser to read both types of disc compared to the fat PS2s where there's practically two lasers, one for DVDs and the other for CDs. I've still been an avid fan of old PSX games and have been sorely depressed with how horrible the slim PS2 has performed, especially, all the special treatment I have to give it like it's old when my slim PS2 is practically only a few months old at most.

If I had to pick, I rather use an old fat PS2 for playing PSX games rather than this slim PS2 I have. The game compatibility, the picky laser and the horrible air ventilation makes playing PSX games on my sliver slim v15 PS2 unbearable because problems I've been experiencing were never apparent on the fat PS2 or the game itself, and plus, the games I've tried were of mint condition so I hardly think the original game is at fault. I believe a lot of the slimline PS2s are faulty when playing PSX games or perhaps it's really me having a very keen eye and inspecting the very minuscule details.