1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best automate AVI Process?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Metallo, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Metallo

Metallo Member

Hi,

I've got the following issue that is keeping me busy for days.
    I have 56 video clips taken from my Canon camera.
    The output file has 20000 fps and their frame size is 320x240.
    Since I use "Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus" to burn them to DVD, it does not accept these AVI files because they are out of standard with their fps.

As a result,in order to provide an AVI file that Pinnacle can then convert to MPEG2, I use VirtualDub, but the number of processes I need to do for every file are so many that I hope there's a way to automate them:

1) Filter Resize 352x288 adding a frame of 720x576
    SAVE
    2) Change the frame rate from 20000 to 25000 fps
    SAVE
    3) Change so video and audio durations match (25000)
    SAVE
    4) Compress (but maybe is not a good idea) using PICVideo MJPEG Codec, Quality 20.
    SAVE

Finally, I can upload the video clips in Pinnacle for encoding.

I came to the decision to use VirtualDub, because is the only software I know that can do all of this.

You can understand that if I have to do all of this for 56 clips on a manual way, it would take me 1 day and I've already spent far too long time testing other solutions.

Is there a way to automate it?
    If yes, can you describe it in detail so that I can use it successfully?

Thanks very much for your help!

Alex

PS: I had found a good solution using TMPGE and encoding all the files into MPEG2.
    The problem (and the great limit) of Pinnacle is that once it gets MPEG files, it encodes them again, even if I set the same encoding parameters in TMPGE.
    As a result, I had to give up to this option.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your best bet is No Just Drop useing Pinnacle Studio because it is basicly Crap software and it is Limiting your Options....

Just encode the Files in Tmpgenc and author them to DVD with a "Real" DVD authoring Program Like "DVDLab" or even "Tmpgenc DVD author" if you want to use something that is super simple....

Also encodeing your Files from 320+240 to 720+576 is just going to Ruin any quality the Image had and it is Not necessary because that is not the only Resolution you Can use to Make DVD"s (Pinnacle forces you to use that Resolution because it Sucks)...

You would Achieve Better quality useing the 352+288 resolution (SIF) and you could Fit 4 Times as Much Video on a DVD because to encode at this resolution you only need 1/4 the Bitrate you need to encode at 720+576 to achieve the same quality within that Resolution and 352+288 is 100% DVD compliant and any DVD Authoring Program that is worth useing will Support authoring these types of Files to DVD...

Cheers

3. Metallo

Metallo Member

Minion,

Basically I agree with you, Pinnacle has really disappointed me, indeed.
    In my post I did not mention that these video clips are mixed with stills, so I have around 2000 still pictures to encode (and Pinnacle is terribly slow in this) plus the 56 clips.
    I tried Pinnacle because it was the only program that could create a DVD having stills and clips together.
    Nero Vision Express cannot handle this.
    Before, I used VCDEasy which is a great tool, but to do proper menus was time consuming and in addition I passed the limits in terms of stills, so I decided to switch to DVD.
    Do you know any other software that can handle stills and clips together to be burned on DVD Video?

Thank you
    Alex

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are these Stills used as Menu"s or are they Part of the Video File or are they used in a Slideshow sort of Thing???
    Any Good editor can can Compile Video Clips and Still images together(Vegas 5,Premier Pro)....

If you can you might want to export your Project as an AVI file in Pinnacle and then encode the File to Mpeg-2 useing a Good Standalone encoder and then author with a DVD authoring Program...

This way you can use the other DVD standard and get up to 6 hours of Video on a Single DVD with Better quality than useing Pinnacle to Put 1 hour on a DVD..

I can Just Imagine how awefull those Images Look resized from 320+240 all the way up to 720+576 ,They must just Look awefull because even DVD quality Images Resized from 320+240 up to 720+576 look Terrorable....

Cheers

5. Metallo

Metallo Member

Hi,

The stills are there for a slideshow, and from time to time there's a clip in it.(2000 stills + 56 clips)
    I don't understand what you mean by this:
    Pinnacle has got plenty of bugs, particularly in the menu authoring.
    I'm now testing MemoriesOnTV, I have already seen that it accepts my AVI with 20000 fps, which means to save hours of framerate conversion and sync.
    So, I just need to resize the AVI, and I think I will follow the suggestion of Minion, 352+288 resolution, resized at 240x176, they will look better and it won't take any space.

In addition, Pinnacle is very slow when converting the JPG into MPEG2 and finally, 2000 stills, almost 6GB without transictions and without clips!
    With other programs, I can probably do the same with 1GB.

Cheers
    Alex

6. Metallo

Metallo Member

Minion,

I have a question here:
    When I used to do VCDs, in VirtualDub I was resizing the original AVI file to 240x176 (from 320x240)and then add a frame of 352x288 to make it VCD 2.0 compatible. The image was big enough to be watched on TV and the quality not bad.

So, I used the same process with DVD but the image turns out to be much smaller, which means the whole frame it then reconverted to 720x576 (DVD PAL)

These AVI files are part of a slideshow, so they are mixed with still pictures.

Since DVD format supports 352x288, how do I force the application to accept this format without extending it to 720x576? It looks like once you select DVD, it switches automatically to 720x576, ignoring the fact that the AVIs are 352x288, so I does not use the compatible format 352x288 but enlarge them to 720x576.

I use MemoriesOnTV right now.

I guess I'm lost somewhere, maybe you can clarify?

The only possibility I see is to increase the sze of the original AVI from 240x176 to 352x288 but then I end up in useless bitrates, as you initially said.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks
    Alex

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I know nothing about memories on TV, but if it doesn't have any option to select the output aspect ratio, then you can either live with it's output, or use a different program.
    I use DVDLab Pro for projects like this, because it has NO encoder, it will not force anything to be changed, except audio, which must be 48khz dvd spec.
    I regularily mix 1/4D1, 1/2D1, and fullD1 videos, as well as stills of mixed sizes, with no trouble.

8. Metallo

Metallo Member

Jim

MemoriesOnTV does not have the output Aspect Ratio, or better, it has only Video Aspect 4:3 or 16:9.
    However, the program allows me to use a different encoders from its native one.
    So, if I use TMPGEnc.exe, I can select the possibility to load a pre-defined setting template (.mcf).
    So, what you are saying is that if I set:

Stream type: MPEG1 Video
    Size: 352 x 288
    Aspect ratio: 4:3 display
    Frame rate 25 fps

I should get an output which is DVD compatible.
    As a result, my AVI should be visible with the same proportions I see them by creating a VCD.

Can you confirm me if I'm on the right track?

Thanks
    Alex

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Not all DVD Authoring Programs support the SIF/CIF DVD Format...Most of the Good ones do but a lot of the Lower End ones do not..I don"t even think Pinnacle Studio 9 does....

I just checked in DVDLab Pro and it seems to let you Mix Slideshows with Video Files when authoring to DVD so you Might want to try that and it supports all DVD standards Pluss a couple of Non-DVD Compliant standards for makeing XDVD"s....

If you decide to try DVDLab to Mix your Slideshow Images with your Video files you will have to encode your AVI files to Mpeg-2 ay 352+288 first (No need to encode the Pictures)....

Cheers

10. Metallo

Metallo Member

I will try first if TMPGEnc can cope with SIF/CIF DVD Format, so I could use MemoriesOnTV, if not, I will test DVDLab Pro.

Thanks!
    Alex