1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I edit a DVD - remove parts/scenes?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by robtwilk, Jan 29, 2007.

1. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

What software will allow me to edit the content of a DVD?

One use is to edit out the parts of a movie that are inappropriate for my kids (make an R-rated movie PG).

I have used Nero and Shrink to take off the beginning or end of a movie, but never parts in between. I think I once used a program from Sony (Click-to-DVD).

I had no luck searching the forums, but that doesn't mean it isn't here.

2. onya

onya Guest

Here's a freeware app that will suit your needs, it's called VobBlanker. There is a guide and download link
    Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.
    EDIT: Typo's & link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

onya - thanks, I have seen this software title in many of the afterdawn.com threads. I will give it a try this weekend.

Since my original post, I found one thread that mentioned using Shrink to build clips, then using Shrink again to merge the clips and burn a DVD. Sounds like a lot more work than Click to DVD, but at least I know Shrink well enough to do it.

Sony's Click to DVD was a pain to use, but it was great at editing video. The software broke down the video into chapters on a filmstrip style screen. Then you could edit each chapter, setting the start and end frames, which would create a new chapter (which could then be deleted). I used this to delete commercials from TV shows I recorded on my PVR. Hopefully VobBlanker works in a similar way.

4. onya

onya Guest

VobBlanker's GUI looks very ordinary, don't be fooled into thinking there are no bells or whistles, Just think of the GUI as being...tidy. lol

Cheers.

5. travalon

travalon Regular member

Use Vobblanker. It's really pretty simple. I just removed some scenes the other day. the only problem is you have to run the movie through blanker for each scene you want to remove. Be sure to tick the remove movie option. Heres a simple guide:

1 rip movie FILES to hdd
    2 open vobblanker and brows for your movie. u want the video_ts.IFO
    3 either select use input folder (right below the output folder browser) or make a folder to put the finished product. I suggest using another folder till u get the hang of it.
    4 after analyzing u'll have a list of vob's. Click each one and then click on the PGC# in the lower window. click Prev/cut and a new window appears.
    5 click the drop down to select each cell in the movie. use the slider to find the beginning of the scene you want to cut out.
    6 click the mark button under initial mark then go to the bottom and click the far left button at the far right.
    7 go back to the slider and find the end of the scene you want gone then click the mark button in the end mark box. then to the bottom right again. this time click the far right button. The 2 <> in the middle move frame by frame ti zero in on your selection.
    8 in the "Action between marks" click cut movie.

as an option u can select all the drab warnings and stuff you don't want then select their pgc's and hit blank to remove them. This greatly reduces the overall size of the movie and often times makes it fit on a 4.7 disc. then all you have to do is hit process. I run any dvd in the background. I suppose you could try to cut 2 scenes with the above instructions. I dont think it will work though. Probably just cut 1. lots of time the warnings are in the menues. just select your vob and click menue. select a pgc and preview it to see.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I was successful at using Shrink to remove a portion of an R-rated movie. It was fairly easy after figuring out the process. It actually worked better than I thought, since I could build all of the titles in one session.

My main complaint is that the start/end window has a very, very small screen that plays the movie. Stepping thru the frames during editing is difficult - even more so with a dark scene. The main Shrink player window can be expanded, but I don't see a way for the start/end window to be resized.

I will try VobBlanker this weekend.

Is there an application that runs a parrallel visual of the sound track (with ability to edit)? I have seen this somewhere??

This might help me remove some bad language - instead of deleting a scene. Amazing how many movies have bad language when it is meaningless to the movie. There are so many family-looking films that throw in a few "F" words just for kicks. Mostly horror films my boys like to watch.

7. travalon

travalon Regular member

you needa proggy that will demux. (separate the audio)then you should be able to edit the parts you want. I think if you're not careful you could mess up the time cose. then when you put everything back together, the audio would be out of sync. I know DVD Lab pro will demux and then put everything back together but it is a complicated program and costs around $200. Maybe Nero Vision express could do this.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi robtwilk,

Seing that you already have Nero why not just use NeroVisionExpress?
    I use NVE all the time to cut out comercials from TV shows that I have recorded and it is pretty easy to do.

9. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Is there a guide for this process? I have used various componenets of Nero before - sometimes with success and sometimes with no success. I used Nero Burning Rom the other day, I had few problems understanding what I was doing, but I did successfully copy an entire double-layer disc.

Is there a way in Rom to select languages/titles etc. or is that only available in Recode?

Is there a guide(s) for all of the Nero applications/tools that is really complete and easy to follow? I know many people have put together decent guides for lots of the tools out there.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have a basic getting started guide for NVE at my sight (link in signature) It doesn't show how to cut parts out, but it is pretty easy to do if you look at and follow that guide you will see where you can edit the video and cut parts out you don't want

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Now that I reviewed your NVE guide, I remember using NVE many times to make a DVD out of home videos. It does not look like I would use this to create a DVD-looking DVD.

Is there something I would do differently to create a copy of a DVD (with just a few scenes missing)? I have never been very happy with the menu creation in NVE, but it does get the job done in the end.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes NVE will also do your DVD files. Nothing really any different.

Good luck