1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I edit a VOB file when authoring a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by reddragon, Jul 25, 2003.

1. reddragon

reddragon Member

I have a DVD that i bought from someone on eBay containing interviews and live performance footage of one of my favourite bands.
    I also have a VCD that i bought on eBay containing more recent footage of the band.

I would like to combine both lots of footage onto one DVD.

I am using Ulead DVD Workshop to author DVDs, i like it because it allows you great freedom when making the menus. So far i have had no problem in downloading music videos from the net and converting them to DVD using this program.

I have no problem with adding the movie files from the VCD to the project, however I can't add the files from the DVD.
    They are all in VOB format but i have copied them from the DVD to hard drive for convenience while making the DVD project.

I ripped them with DVD Decrypter in individual chapters, so I have 25 VOB files, about 40mb each, all about 5 mins long.

But DVD Workshop won't let me add these VOB files to my project. I've also tried Video Studio 7, Media Studio, Sonic My DVD and a few others but none of them accept VOB files - if these are DVD authoring programs why will they not work with DVD-format files?

So my first question is - can anyone tell me a way to make Ulead DVD WorkShop work with these VOB files?
    Failing that, does anyone know a similar DVD-authoring program that will accept VOB files to work with, so i can rearrange the order, make my own menus and burn to disk?

My second question is - if these programs won't work with VOB files, i will have to convert the VOB files to MPEG or another suitable format. Can someone tell me a way to convert VOBs to MPEGs without losing quality? (Please recommend software and point me in the direction of a guide)

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. reddragon

reddragon Member

thanks very much Oriphus, i had that program all along, didnt realise it worked with VOBs as well!

however i'm having a couple of problems, firstly it doesn't like a few of the MPEG files that i'm using (music videos downloaded from the internet). it says they are the wrong resolution, frame rate and the video sequence header is incorrect (on different files).
    i think i can get round this by using another program, such as Ulead DVD Workshop to put these MPEGs into DVD format, then they will be in VOB format so i can use them in TMPGEnc DVD Author.

however the major problem is that i do not like the menus that TMPG makes, they do not allow you enough freedom, like DVD Workshop does.

is there any way i can create a menu in DVD Workshop and import it into TMPG?

or is there any other program that offers the best of both worlds?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I don't think you can bring your own menus into TMPGEnc DVD Author. The reference tool Pinnacle Studio 8 has supposedly a good functionality. You could try it maybe.

5. reddragon

reddragon Member

Tried Pinnacle 8, its the same deal, it can capture from camera, VCR etc. but only deals with MPEGs, AVIs etc. until the output stage, so i can't load VOBs into it.

After a bit of hunting i ended up on Uleads website, looking at the features of their programs in detail. It says Movie Factory 2 has the ability to import existing DVD VOB files, so im downloading a trial version now. i hope its menu making feature is as good as DVD Workshop.

there's one more thing i want to do - i want to include a section on the DVD that contains written information on the history of the band, and a slideshow of their artwork.
    i think Movie Factory 2 will allow me to make a slideshow, and i can just make a series of menus with text on for the info section, but is there any better software for doing this?

6. reddragon

reddragon Member

problem solved! but the solution was kind of weird so i thought i'd share it here, in case it's useful to anyone else.

although Ulead DVD Workshop won't accept VOB files it turns out that it must just look at the '.VOB' extension and refuse to open the video file.

because i found that by renaming the files to .m2v, .mpg or .mpeg then DVD Workshop will open the files and allow you to edit them.

this means that you can add your own menus, chapter positions and rearrange the order of the clips, all the time working with the original VOB files so you lose no quality at all.

so for future reference - Ulead software WILL work with VOB files if you rename their extensions.

however i don't think this is a strict rule, it will depend on the VOB files themselves. the clips i am working with work fine, but i tried it with VOB files taken from a movie and there was no sound...

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I was reading the start of what you were saying and was getting ready to tell you to rename the file extensions to .mpeg and then rename them back or use TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to VOB again. It's crude, but it has worked for others in the past, though i have never tried it myself. Glad you got yours to work. That Ulead is quite a good program i hear.

8. nic4nyc

nic4nyc Member

To join the extra video is simple.
    First, use a program like TMPGEnc to convert the source video to DVD standard. Make sure that the resulting file has a .vob extension. Next, put this file in the same folder as the other VOB files that you want to join it with. Rename it VTS_01_026.VOB
    Run VOBedit, choose "open," go to the folder where you have the DVD files, and choose the last file of the original movie set (e.g. VTS_01_25.VOB). Once this file is open, scroll down to the last Navigation Pack. The last VOB-ID is the number that you will use next. Open the VOB file (VTS_01_026.VOB) with VobEdit, and choose the Menu: 'Edit -> Join Clips.
    A filedialog will apear, where you have to specify a destination directory for the final VOB file-set. You better choose a new empty directory for that. A second dialog will pop up, where you have to specify a starting VOB-ID. What ever number you got previously for the last VOB-ID, use a higher number (example, if the last VOB-ID was 5, now choose 6). When the joining has finished, you will have a new set of VOB files.
    Go to the destination folder and rename that VOB file VTS_01_26.VOB, cut and paste that file back with the other VOB files. Don't forget to delete VTS_01_026.VOB.
    Now you just need to adjust the IFO file. You have got 2 options for that:
    1: Let IfoEdit create new IFO files for this title-set and you're done.
    2: Let IfoEdit correct the original IFO file with the new vob-file information.
    If, after this, the files are too big to fit on a DVD-R, use DVD Shrink 3.0 (FREE) to adjust the size of the movies. It's really FAST.
    Hope this was helpful.

9. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Changing the file extension from VOB to MPG is a crude but effective fix, works like a charm to get Canopus Procoder to accept VOBs.
    Just FYI, however, I have been told on another forum that this method should not be used for VOB files that include multiple audio tracks or subtitles. Apparantly the extra content can confuse the receiving program and produce unexpected results.
    Glad it worked for you in this case though.

10. cofrpayne

cofrpayne Member

Would the AC3 or DTS track get lost in this process?

11. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Your audio tracks would remain in its original format (AC3 or DTS or whatever the case may be) during the authoring process as no re-encoding is actually being done.
    However, as I mentioned above, this probably won't work for a video stream that contains multiple audio or sub-title streams, as the new IFO files would contain no pointers to direct your player to the appropriate "layer" of the file.

12. nic4nyc

nic4nyc Member

Here is yet another way to join dvd files from different discs. Let's pretend the files will come from 2 different DVDs.
    First, use DVD Decrypter to extract EVERY single file to your hard drive, including EXTRAS files, into 2 different folders. Next, create a folder where the final product file will be created.
    Now, open up a copy of DVD SHRINK, and choose Open Files. Go to the DVD folder that you want to play as your first movie. Go to VIDEO_TS folder and choose VIDEO_TS.IFO. DVD SHRINK will scan all the files into its registry. After it finishes scanning and you get your menu, choose the option Re-Author, and another window will pop up.
    Now, go to the first DVD SHRINK window, choose folder MAIN MOVIE, open it up and click on the Title file(s). Now, drag that file to the window you opened up with Re-Author, and you will see that the movie has been exported to the Re-Author windows.
    Next, go back to the first windows, and choose Open Files, and go to the folder where the second DVD files are located. Open up folder VIDEO_TS, and choose VIDEO_TS.IFO. Again, the files will be scanned by DVD SHRINK and be scanned for correctness. After the menu comes up, go to MAIN MOVIE folder, click it open, and highlight the Title file(s). Next, drag that file to the second window that you previously left open using the Re-Author button. Now, on the second window, both DVD files will be playing back to back (joined).
    Now, on this Re-Author window, click on the folder New DVD, and, to the right choose the option No Compression. If the bar is all green, you're good. If there is some redness, you will need to either compress the video to bring it down, or take away some extra audio tracks.
    Regarding audio, you might want to individually choose the movie files that you want to extract the audio files from, especially since the aforementioned files come from 2 different DVDs. Or, just click on New DVD and all the options will be applied to all the DVD files.
    Next, choose Backup, then Browse button, and choose destination folder. You can also choose Perform Deep Analysis to try to get better qualify. Then, just press OK.
    If there is no compression to be done, then DVD SHINK will simply do a simple joining of files within minutes. If compression is chosen, a 2-hour movie takes about 80 minutes on a 1GHZ computer.
    Please give me feedback.

13. lv99

lv99 Member

search for VOBEDIT on google or learn more about the tool at vcdhelp.com

it will join unlimited small size VOB file into big VOB of 1G.