1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I find out which MODchip is installed?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by whichmod, Jun 21, 2007.

1. whichmod

whichmod Member

I recently purchased a barely used PSTwo (slim). The the previous owner purchased it while deployed overseas (outside of the United States) it was purchased with a pre-installed MOD that allows playing of burned disks.

I want to be able to run backups of my original games, preferably off an external USB drive. (I have been reading up on the USBAdvance threads.)

Also purchased a used 32MB MAX memory card. It had several "corrupt" data files that were locking up my PS2 when I was trying to clear out all the previous save files. Since I was able to burn an ISO-> CD of the "ps2newz_mckiller" and it formatted my card (clearing the bad data). Seems to confirm I have a working MOD.. but any idea how to find out which one/what kind?

The Model# on the back of the unit reads "SCPH-70012", but when checking the version information on bootup it says "SCPH-70011".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. steimy

steimy Active member

Not without opening it up and looking at the chip. Only other signs may be if you get any writing or pictures on your screen during start up other than the normal PS2 stuff.

Like a Matrix Infinity would say "Matrix", although so would a cheap clone like a Modbo that runs on the old MI firmware.
    DMS4 Pro usually says "Toxic" and has a white skull.

Overseas they usually use cheaper clone type chips so if i had to guess that is most likely what you have. But if the only function you want is playing back up discs you should be fine.

Also USB hard drive are not real great. They are slower and do not have great game compatibility.

3. whichmod

whichmod Member

Thanks for the quick response!

I suspected that it would likely be a "cheap" knock-off, most of the "disk shops" that I ran into in Korea were the same.
    "Buy this... and we will throw in 50 games..." etc. ;-)

Just wasn't sure if there were some keys on the controller I would need to hold down for menus or things to be displayed or options to be enabled/disbled.

Because it is a slim PS2, doesn't look like I have many HD options (other than hacking on an external connector). If I use an external USB drive do they load SLOWER than the internal CD/DVD?

I am not sure what else is possible with a "better" MOD chip (sorry kind of a noob at this), so going in and replacing the "knock-off" with a better one doesn't seem to be a good idea. I do have an un-modded Silver-Slim PS2 (SCPH - 77001) that I could do that to if I needed to I guess.

Thanks again for the info!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007