1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can I fix error 0021?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by rgarrido, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rgarrido

rgarrido Regular member

Hi
    im trying to fix error 0021 and i saw that can be the dvd drive, it was flashed when it happen but i got it to stock now but still the problem is there. is there another way to fix it?
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. w00ly

w00ly Regular member

You could try removing the dvd drive completely and see if it gives you the red ring then. If it does give you the red ring then you know it's not the drive. 0021 like 0020 is usually a bridged solder joint somewhere. What you can do is flush under the southbridge, hana and gpu with flux preferably or at least isopropyl alcohol. Here's a vid for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2R_NqF5wAc After fluxing you'll want to do a reflow, see the link in my sig
  4. rgarrido

rgarrido Regular member

Yeah i took it off and still give me that error. ill try to flux then reflow, thx a lot for the help
  5. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Hi w00ly, I have been doing quite a lot of heat gunning myself over the past few weeks, and I too find it to be quite a reliable fix.

Regarding the flux, do you think for the boards that dont work after a heatgun fix, this would be worth a try?

Mike
  6. w00ly

w00ly Regular member

Yes flux helps seal the solder better by removing oxidation from the broken connection. You may also want to try a low temperature oven bake to remove and warping and moisture from the board and chips. I've used this method twice and it worked both times on stubborn systems (bare method@170F the lowest my oven will go): http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/oven-bake/
  7. rgarrido

rgarrido Regular member

I did the flux and still got the 0021.

I have another xbox with 0022 lol idk they must be going in order lol.
    I did the flux on the cpu, gpu, ANA and one that say xbox 360 lol idk name, and i still got error. after i did the flux and reflow with my
    T-870A, i used the heat gun and still got error, I used a flux i got local from a radio fixing place, when i used it it left dry flux on some places, the cup was UP like it was rdy to get off so i got it down with the heat gun. you think if i put it on my T-870A pre heater longer it will help? else when i turn the xbox 360 on and i get the 3 rings, i take the fan off and it dont go to 2 ring at all, is taking long to overheat, took like 15min, so thats good right or what you think? and i think that flux i used it was thick bc i used like 3 or 4 drops and i could see it making bubbles bc there was so much, so when it got hot it got like water lol.
  8. w00ly

w00ly Regular member

err sorry about the dried flux on the board, I should have been clear that you can dab up the excess or use a "no clean" type flux. If it bothers you you can also use flux remover on it.

When you go to try to reflow again yea I'd try using the heater longer and also to flux/reflow the southbridge as well.

As far as the overheating, not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that but yea if the fans are off and it's not overheating I guess that'd mean you've got the spacing right on the washers, thermal paste is a proper amount and you've got the screws tightened down well, allowing the heatsinks to do their job of dissipating heat
  9. rgarrido

rgarrido Regular member

well by the cpu and gpu i mean that the problem is not there bc it seems it dont overheat ect. should i always use flus when doing reflow? even on error 0102, thats the most easy to fix for me lol
  10. w00ly

w00ly Regular member

hmm that's a good question. I usually only use it on bridged solder joint type rrods and I've never ran into a 0102 that I havent been able to fix with the heatgun either but on the other hand it'll remove any oxidation and make the solder reflow better so maybe it would be a good idea to start using it every time. It certainly wont hurt anything, though some fluxes can harden and leave behind a brown residue so it's best to dab up excess
  11. rgarrido

rgarrido Regular member

yeah mine left a lot of that so you think the preblem still there bc it still have hard brown flux under?