1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i increase my DVD ripping speed?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ryedizzel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

not sure if this is average, but it usually takes me around 45 min to rip a DVD movie. my computer specs are:

Pentium 4 - 3 GHz w/ HT
    1 Gig of RAM
    2 x 10,000 RPM hard-drives in RAID 0
    Plextor PX-708A burner

shouldn't my rip speeds be a little faster, and if not, then how can i make it so? will a faster DVD-ROM drive make a big difference?

2. donpiere

donpiere Member

Your rip times seem good,comparatively speaking that is.Besides your machines crunching power( which seems good) other factors are involved such as your chosen options,how deep do you want to analyze before you start your ripping. more analyzing, more time. Hope this helps.DVD Shrink has several excellent guides to help you with just such options.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

ryedizzel,
    what program are you using to rip the movies?
    Dvd decrypter shouldn't be taking longer than about 20 minutes.
    Dvd shrink is just as quick unless your compressing the movie as your ripping it.

4. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

sorry for not specifying. i am using DVD Shrink to rip it (and compress it). then i am letting it automatically use Nero to burn it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  5. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

f thats the case then 45 minutes isn't that bad then, considering it's ripping and compressing.
    It really depends on the size of the movie and if you have selected 'deep analysis' or not.

6. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

no, deep analysis isn't selected. so are you sure there is no way i can speed it up? :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If your [bold]not[/bold] using "deep analysis", then 45min sounds just a "little, little" bit slow.

Are you using any Quality Enhancements?

For me ... Doing a dvd-9 w/ Shrink, using deep analysis, burning at 4x ... start to finish is around 40-45min.

What brand of media are you using? and the speed? 2.4x will add time around 5-7 minutes.

8. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

actually the 45 min is only the time it takes to rip it. the burning is fine, which usually takes no more than 8 min. i am using Ritek media with an 8X Plextor burner.

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I'm thinking you should be seeing something like 30 to 35 minutes for a 5 to 6 GB DVD with your P4-3 GHz CPU.

Shrink will max the CPU at 100%, and so I would suggest you launch Task Manager (Ctrl - Alt -Del) and choose the Performance tab. This will give you a read-out of your CPU and RAM usage when running apps. If the CPU isn't at 100% with Shrink, you most likely have a CPU heat problem slowing it down.

If the CPU shows 100%, the slowdown can also be caused by a HDD that needs defragging, or by the default page file (HDD based virtual memory) settings that are simply too small for video encoding. For your system I would recommend 4000 MB min and max. Whatever-the-case, be sure to defrag frequently. I do my drives after every 3 encodes.

Once all this checks out, the only way to speed things up is to get more CPU power.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi ryedizzel, Are you saying 45 minutes just for the rip to your Hd + burn back time. Or 45 minutes total time start to finish? If 45 minutes start to finish thats about average. 45 minutes just to rip is excessive for your machine.

Jerry

11. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hi Jerry
    I'm doing deep analysis and max smoothing Shrink/
    decrypter plus using a slower burner and a slower pc and I'm doing a complete copy in 50 Min.

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bigfoot30...50 minutes? What DVD are you talking about, and what is the size? This is 1-1/2 hours better than Mr. Shrink gets himself. I was a beta tester for v3.2, and I think you need to go back and reaffirm your times. Let's keep this discussion realistic.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small].
    [​IMG]

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. (Pablo Picasso)[/small]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  13. flip218

ryedizzel,

That is really slow ... you should be able to rip a dvd-9 in 15-20 min. What dvd-rom do you have?

I've got a pretty good system and using deep analysis, with default Quality Enhancement (sharp) ... start to finish it takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

On my old p3 gateway it takes a long time ... over 3 hours.

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

flip218 ... I have a 2.66 P4, which is a bit less than your sys, and I also get 1-1/2 to 2 hours for a 6 to 6.5 GB DVD, and about 2-1/2 hours for something larger like LOTR-ROTK. I'm using the same settings that you are. I don't buy the 50 minutes post.

When I think ryedizzel says "rip" I think he is talking about the total process of decrypting, and then encoding without deep analysis or any of the enhanced settings. I'm thinking he should get about 14 mins on the decrypt, and 15 to 20 on the encode.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small].
    [​IMG]

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. (Pablo Picasso)[/small]

15. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

oops,, Sorry Guys
    I guess I should check posts before hitting the reply button,,, That should read 150 min.
    Hank

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If he is ripping with the burner, then it sounds like its locked at about a 2x rip. Typical situation with some burners. It may need a firmware update to unlock it.
    ryedizzel, if you have a dvd rom installed, try ripping with that and see if there is a difference. Also go into your device manager and check the IDE channels. Both need to be set to DMA. Windows sometimes reverts back to PIO for stupid reasons.

Jerry
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bigfoot30 ... thanks for clarifying the times. :)

18. ryedizzel

ryedizzel Member

good suggestions guys, i really appreciate it. again, just to make everyting clear and answer some questions, it is taking me 45+ min to rip the average DVD down to 4.7 GB using DVD Shrink.

i do not have any extra features enabled such as deep analysis, sharper video, etc. and finally, my PC is a Pentium4 - 3GHz, 1 gig of RAM, a fresh install of Windows XP, and a Plextor PX-708A DVD+R drive.

also, i just checked and i do have the latest firmware update for my DVD drive. i will try a few more suggestions here...

19. flip218

If your not using deep analysis or any Quality Enchancements, that to me still seems about 10-15 minutes longer than it should (IMO) :)

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

ryedizzel. About firmware. There are 2 types. OEM manufacturer issued firmware and there are hacked(improved) firmware. If your burner is factory locked at 2x rip speed, the OEM manufacturer firmware updates won't unlock the drive. You will need the hacked firmware to unlock the drive. If one is available you should be able to find it here.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

The improvement with the hacked firmware will amaze you. Just be aware that hacked firmware usually voids any remaining warranty. So its best to wait till after the warranty period is up.

Jerry