1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I know if a DVD has a ZONE protection "codec?"

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by johnnyemh, Mar 4, 2007.

1. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi guys:

A sister of mine went to Spain and brought me a DVD from over there. As you would expect, it has "Europe ZONE" (zone 2 I think) protection "codec" o what ever you the experts call it.

As expected, this DVD, plays well in a PC but not in a DVD player (here in USA). So I decided to make a back up copy and I ripped it with DVD-Decrypter (which detected the zone protection item), choosing Europe zone when requested, ... I ripped the DVD, ... but when I burned this to a DVD (after prossessing with DVDShrink), happens that again, ... it didn't play (comes a note that says something like: "this DVD belongs to a different zone").

Can somebody tell me how can I remove those type of "zone restrictions", .... and how I can find out if a movie already ripped in a hard drive has imbeded such restriction? (so I do not have to waste a DVD to realize that has it?)

I'll be grateful for any information in this regard.

Best regards

2. david66

david66 Regular member

do not select region code 2 if you do it will not play in a stand alone player in the usa also the disc needs to be NTSC not PAL the tvs here in the states are not PAL compatible

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

When you rip DVD to your computer, do it as region free, that will solve one problem. By the way North America is region 1.
    More complicated will be to make it NTSC, since that is only format it wilt play on your DVD player.
    You have few choices:
    1)Get DVD player which will play PAL, not that common in US, but possible, check the Web.
    2)Learn few software which will do the trick.
    3)Go to video repair shop and ask if they can convert it for you, some shops will do it, you can also find them on the Web.

4. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi guys:

Thanks for the advises. There is one thing that no body answered me. I had ripped this European DVD with DVDDecrypter. At the beginning of the process, the program points out that EXIST a “codec” or “protection” something like that, … and YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE, … WHAT AREA IS THE DVD FROM. … Now, … YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE 1 AND ONLY 1 ZONE. There is not an alternative such as: “free from any kind of protection.” … Anyway, since I new that the DVD came from Europe, I clicked in the “selecting circle” annexed to “Europe.” When the DVD was ripped, …. I was expecting that it would be FREE OF ANY ZONE PROTECTION, … BUT, …. IT WAS NOT (when I tried to play the backup DVD, …the DVD player said so).
    Now I learn that you could use Ifoedit to extract any protection (supposedly). Without having to use the method of trial and error (and burn another DVD, .. to discover that maybe, still has a zone protection imbedded). … IS ANY SUCH METHOD TO FIND OUT THAT THE DVD THAT I HAVE RIPPED IN MY PC, …. IS FREE OF ANY OF THIS PROTECTIONS?

Suba tells me: “When you rip DVD to your computer, do it as region free” …. How I do that if DVD-Decrypter, …. Only let you choose 1 zone free? …. Is there any other program that will allow me to do that?

I’ll be thankful for any suggestions.

5. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Process your files through DVD_Shrink.

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

Get RipIt4Me and it will take all restrictions off. It uses Shrink to modify file, but to convert it to NTSC is a different ballgame.

7. johnnyemh

johnnyemh Member

Hi guys:
    Yes, I realized that this DVD is in PAL format (it says so in the case). Does anybody knows how I can change from PAL to NTSC?
    That is the little piece of info that you guys are forgeting to tell me :>)
    Thanks any way

8. Suba

Suba Regular member