1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i retrieve cd info for mp3s extracted by EAC+LAME?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tubbies, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tubbies

tubbies Member

I am planning to switch to iTunes from WMP (thx to totally inadaptable WMP11).
    Problem is, more than 90% of my 7000 songs are in wma format. I’m now planning to re-rip everything into mp3 format using EAC and LAME encoder.
    I've tried retrieving cd info from EAC’s “remote freedb” but I keep on getting a message saying "Error - HTTP protocol failure"
    And I also found that iTunes cant retrieve any of the cd track info if its imported using other softwares.
    Any recommendations on how to get track names and album artworks for use with iTunes any other way?
    Thank you in advance.

2. kazoo

kazoo Member

tubbies, if you are using EAC to access freedb, I am not sure why you are getting the error message. Probably the easiest way to do what you want to do, however, is by using one of the dedicated ID3 tag editing programs.

My favorite is Tag&Rename which will get album/track info from either freedb or Amazon - frequently Amazon will have info in their data base when freedb does not. Tag&Rename is $30. There are also a number of freeware tag editing programs. A couple of the most popular are ID3-TagIT and Mp3tag. They both look promising but I do not have experience with either.

Good luck!

3. tubbies

tubbies Member

thank you for your reply, kazoo.
    I'm also not sure why EAC's freedb is not working for me.
    I've only managed to get connected to the server once yesterday. but even then, it gave me an error after I clicked the album of choice.
    Does it have anything to do with me using dial up?
    I'm currently downloading the trial version of Tag&Rename 3.3.
    Hope it'll work better.

4. kazoo

kazoo Member

EAC works fine with a dial-up connection. Bandwith is not much of an issue because you are only dealing with a small amount of text. The only thing I can suggest regarding EAC is to check the "freedb / Database options" page (F12) to make sure a valid, or at least what appears to be valid, email adddress has been entered and try a different server than the one EAC has defaulted to.

Tag&Rename is a great piece of software. Of course the same "power" that helps you fix things so efficiently will also screw-up things just as efficiently. I do not say this to scare you off or discourage you, Tag&Rename is well worth learning to use - just take it slow at first.

Let us know how you get along with EAC and Tag&Rename.

5. tubbies

tubbies Member

Thanks again for our help, kazoo.
    I've checked my email address, and I've also tried different servers and clicking the "get active freedb servers"
    They all gave me different sorts of error messages.

Tag&Rename is a really a great and handy program. But problem is, I have quite a collection of Chinese, Japanese and Korean albums.
    For the Japanese albums, I can easily retrieve album info AND covers (which I am forever grateful) from amazon.co.jp.
    but I'm having problems with most of my Chinese and Korean albums.
    Do you by any chance know how to get cd info for those?

6. kazoo

kazoo Member

Afraid I don't have any idea how you might get the info on your Chinese and Korean albums. Hopefully, someone else who has solved that problem will see your query. Good luck!