1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i rip DVDs to computer with LOSSLESS quality

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Hoosier, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Hoosier

Hoosier Member

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS
    Rip my DVDs to my harddrive in a format that will play on any newer PC ( so no, crazt codecs that are impossible to track down etc). The second and equally important thing that i want to do is to rip with a quality that is as good as the dvd. I'm not worried about file size, just quality. Lastly, my machine also acts a media center pc, so the files will have to play equally well on both my PC and TV

I have been trying to master DVDX but i am finding that i cannot get it quite as good as the original dvd. The colors are not as vivid and the resolution is just a bit sub-par for me. All of the guides i have found online are centered around ripping to one cd so they have not helped much. Does anyone know of a guide (or tool) specifically for ripping DVDs that are as clear as the orignal?

Any help here is appreciated.

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hi,
    If I understand you correctly, you don't want to make backups of your DVD, you just want them on your HD in a format that is of "perfect quality" so that you can play them back directly from the HD over either your monitor or connected TV.

Since you say that size is no matter, I would recommend that you use DVDDecrypter (freeware) to rip the VOBs of your main movie file to a directory on your hard drive.

A few tips: 1) You can deselect file splitting in the options section if you want only one large file; and 2) you can select stream processing to remove audio and subtitle streams that you don't need (this will lower the file size without affecting the video quality in any way).

When you want to view the movies, just load up PowerDVD, go to the file option, and load your VOB(s) into the play list. Press play, and there you go.

Good luck....

3. Hoosier

Hoosier Member

So, your advice helps me with a portion of my problem, but I should have been more clear on some of what i am trying to do. Yes, file size is not an issue for a handful of movies, but ripping 100+ DVDs at 7-9 gigs will break me quick. What I want to do it rip them in great quality, and back them up on a single DVD-r & and in the cases of classic movies, keep them on my hd.

My main concern is getting a DVD quality PC file (MPEG or AVI) and then work form there if i want to shrink it for another medium or device. I'm a graphic artist.photographer and like my photography, I want to start with the original and if i need reduced resolution or quality, i can always downgrade the file (where i cannot go the other way->small to large without losing quality).

Does that clarify what i am trying to do? Can it be done? I am using DVDX right now and comparing a scene in Meet the Parents that has orange walls and the DVD is a brilliant orange and the ripped Divx AVI is more washed and VHS quality.

thanks

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

What you want to do is not possible. By changing the format to MPG or AVI, you're adding more compression in thus lesser quality.

However, what you can try are the XVid codecs and try coding at a high bitrate. Perhaps the same as DVD? That's around 6000-8000 kbits/s.

You'll get a picture that's very comparable to DVD but at a much smaller file size.

And, it's impossible to fit 100 DVD movies onto a single DVD-R, regardless of what compression you're doing. (Unless you like watching still pics? ;) )

5. Hoosier

Hoosier Member

great, i'll look into that codec and see how it turns out. Thanks for the aedvice. BTW- i don't plan to put all my dvds on one disc ;-) I'll put each on one back up disc as well as save a file to my hd for those that are 'classics'

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi hoosier,

in one of your posts, you said:
    With 200+ Gig drive prices dropping all the time, and a pci raid/ata card costing peanuts, storage should not be a problem at all (bearing in mind a basic box for storing & serving video files does not need much cpu resource at all, and not a lot of memory either, everything bar the cost of the drives can be real cheap, just add drives as you need them).

Another thing to bear in mind, ANY re-encoding/compression etc IS going to cost you quality, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch(tm):

Irrespective, whatever magic piece of sofware others may propose, there will be a quality loss.

The fact that some people cannot discern any quality difference tends to indicate one of the following:
    lower quality/incorrectly adjusted or calibrated playback equipment.
    vision perception problems.
    lower expectations (perceiver is accustomed to poor quality - vcr/tv/cable etc quality).

Talk to any IMAGING PROFESSIONAL, they will confirm this.

Have Fun...