1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i run my comp thro my 32' hdtv as a monitor ;-)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SEGA3, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SEGA3

SEGA3 Guest

hey i am lookin to buy me a 32in hdtv soon n was woundering how i can run my comp tro it as a monitor/television ;-) lmao am i asking for to much .

2. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Not at all, that's what I do myself.
    I have the Samsung R72 32" and have dumped (actually just stored it away) my 17" monitor that came with the PC. This HDTV has both VGA, like a normal monitor, and HDMI which I have had trouble getting to work properly. At the moment I just use the vga and it's fine, just like a monitor but a huge desktop that takes a bit of getting used to.
    A couple of things to watch out for though:
    1. Do your research on the TV and make sure you've got as many connections as possible. Mine has pleanty but as I said I've had issues getting the HDMI connection to work properly. I haven't put any serious work in getting it to work and if I didn't have the VGA I would have sorted it by now but I'm always wondering if I'm missing the WOW factor by not using it!
    2. Make a short list of the ones your interested in and go to their sites and read the online manuals for those tv's. What your looking for in particular is the resolution. My HDTV has an optimal resolution of 1360x768 and I'm happy but you can get higher.

The first time I booted it up it didn't work and I nearly had a heart attack but I reconnected to the 17", set the resolution in the control panel to 1360x768, reconnected it and saw windows boot up for the first time on something where I had to move my head to see all of the screen. I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day let me tell you.
    It's great for PC, (through VGA) TV (Cable straight into the back of the tv)and the quality of games is quite extrordinary but if you intend using excel or word hang on to you existing monitor and perhaps set it up as a secondary display as you could get dizzy typing on a screen this size.

Lastly if you intend using VGA you'll need to get a male to male VGA cable. Most monitors have the cable built into them and can't be removed so in order to avoid that "Oh ****", moment get it with the TV.
    Hope this helps

3. SEGA3

SEGA3 Guest

thanx i was lookin to get an lg 32' hdtv