1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you tell if you have a bootleg DVD?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by jay33, Feb 15, 2005.

1. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I recently purchased some Disney DVD's from Ebay and a I tried to rip them to make a backup and they wouldn't recognize in my computer. The Little Mermaid II and Cinderella are the movies in question. Each one has a DVD 9 logo on the cover, which I have read is a tip off that it's a bootleg. Little Mermaid II also has Rated R on the back, which isn't correct. Little mermaid II i srated G. Anybody know how to rip these for backups? Any sites giving specifics on what to look for in bootleg versions?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Try DVD Shrink first since if they are bootleg's they won't need AnyDVD or DVD Devrypter. [bold]Correction, I should of said Nero or a regular DVD copy program since they won't need to be decrypted.[/bold] Thanks sly_61019

As far as bootleg, I think you already hit the nail on the head. Might want to head out to your neighborhood video store to just make a comparison.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

These won't recognize in my computer at all. DVD Shrink or Decrypter don't even show as there being a DVD in my computer. They do play fine in my stand-alone DVD plasyers, but I get nothing when I put them in my computer.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

scubabud, dvd shrink can also break dvd copy protection, so that advice is incorrect. Can you post a picture of 1 of these movies jay? Or even the ebay item number?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  5. NWD91

NWD91 Member

Every stamped DVD I've ever seen is silver (on the data side), and every DVD±R I've ever seen is purple, so check that.

6. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

jay33, I've bought dozens of bootleg discs while on trips to Asia, and that "DVD9" logo is on many. As I understand it, that designation is only used in certain parts of the world to designate a dual-layer disc, but it's not ever used in the US as far as I know. But other than that you may not be able to tell easily. All of my Asian discs have top quality cover art and are pressed, not burned. In other words, it's possible that you could have a bootleg disc but one which is manufactured just as well as any "regular" disc you might buy. The only real issue is whether or not the actual movie is a professionally compressed signal or some crappy telesync made in a theater.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I have only bought one of these discs from china. About 5 years ago I bought Kiki's Delivery Service on ebay for my daughter. We had the tape, but it was impossible to find it on DVD. It is actually packaged better than the re-release that came out a couple of years ago by Disney. Anyway, it is not region protected, but it is NTSC. It also has that DVD-9 symbol on it. Plays great in both english and japanese and is pressed not burned. It works on all of my players including my burners. If you have anydvd running in the background, turn it off and try again.

NWD91, there are also pressed dvds that are gold.

8. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Here is a pic of the Mermaid II front and back. As you can see, there is a DVD9 logo on the upper right hand side of the front. The back also shows rated R. This also has a DTS track, which I also have read i sa tip off to being a bootleg, since the U.S. version didn't include a DTS track.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v726/MIX_MASTER_ICE/?action=view&current=mermaidcover.jpg

Here is a pic of the standard U.S. cover of Little Mermaid II.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v726/...n=view&current=The_Little_Mermaid_2-front.jpg

9. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

jay33, did you check that bar code to see if it's legit? If you use the bar code to search on certain shopping sites it'll either turn up or not (try uzed.com, for example). The legit barcode on the cover you scanned turns up, but I can't quite read the numbers under the barcode on the fake version, though I'd bet 10 bucks it doesn't show up. If the bar code is bogus, that thing is fake, no matter how good the cover art, etc.

One interesting thing is that the dvd region symbol (1) is displayed. On almost all of my pirated covers the symbol is either "0" or "ALL." That cover of yours appears is really, really good. Someone is putting a lot of time and money into making that thing look legit. BTW, do you mind sharing who you got it from on eBay? Thx.

10. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I ran the UPC from each of these movies on uzed.com and both of them didn't show up.

11. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you should report him to ebay (unless you got a huge deal, lol).

12. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

The legit one does. Don't forget the little numbers on both the left and right sides. The seller is...?

13. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I did include all the numbers on the UPC. I also got Little Mermaid from thi sseller and the UPC on it does show up on uzed.com. It is different than the others and will rip on my PC, which the others won't.

I would rather not name the seller at this time, since I'm going to take this as an honest mistake until proven otherwise. I will be contacting him to see what he plans to do on this matter. If he doesn't cooperate, then I will be glad to name him and let ebay know about this situation.

14. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

15. emerald23

emerald23 Member

Hey! I'm actually bound by a similar "is it bootleg" situation, but I'm REALLY unsure about all of this stuff! I also bought some DVDs off ebay... (a lot of 80 to be exact) and some... well most of them do have the "9" on the cover. Does this mean they are bootleg? If so can I not sell some back on eBay? I'd started selling some back because I only wanted about 60 out of the 80, but I don't want to screw anyone else over? Does anyone know eBay policy on this issue or have any more advice?

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Just a thought..........

What's the region code on the dvd's you bought? Are they region code 1?

17. emerald23

emerald23 Member

My auction didn't say, but I'm under the assumption that they aren't region 1. I wasn't really familiar with the region thing before I started doing a little research, but isn't region 1 North American Released? I'm sure my movies are Asian... even under the caption screen instead of the usual choices of Spanish, English or French, the choices are Thai, Chinese or Japanese. Can't be the North American Version... but I'm REALLY hoping that they aren't severely bootlegged!

18. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

Its a bootleg for sure

i bought some DVDs like that (they had DVD9 on it, the region code, and the rating was wrong - it was rated R when the movie is actually G)

i later found that they were bootleg (no wonder he gave me such a low price)

19. ryan2837

ryan2837 Member

i used to live in afganistan for the army. You could buy all sorts of pirated dvd's they all look real. Just not encrypted. They don't even use DVD-R's I can't tell the differance accept on some the other menus are listed but don't work.