1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How come there are individual DVD's that simply can't be ripped?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by eetupoika, Aug 15, 2003.

1. eetupoika

eetupoika Member

hey all!

i've been ripping and backuping dvd's since half a year now. the tools i use are dvdxcopy (for dvd5 disks) and smartripper/dvddecypher + dvd2one + primodvd (dvd9 disks).

during this period i've encountered a few dvd's that simply could not be ripped. in fact, they could not be played at all on both my pc dvd drives. standalone playback only...

just today, by coinsidence, i bumped into two dvd's that don't allow themselves to be ripped: "This is Spinal Tap" (R1) and "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (R2).

both my dvd drives (both region free) can't recognise the previous one. the latter i can recognise with the other drive and smartripper even starts ripping it but jams after 20 minutes of ripping.

now i'm wondering, what is it that blocks me from ripping these dvd's? they certainly can't have an excryption too stron for the tools i use? they have no physical scratches or anything either...

what gives?

any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. feel free to ask for more details.

thanks in advance!

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Four Weddings & A Funeral (R2) definitely rips/compresses/burns with this method:

[bold]DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One
    Nero (or RecordNow DX) [/bold]

3. eetupoika

eetupoika Member

that's what i'd say too. but i've tried with both smartripper and decypher. no luck.

could there be some other reason? like my drives? or a manufacturing error in the dvd's?

it's funny because i can rip any other dvd from the same publishers.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Read Herb's post again, and you'll see what you are doing wrong.

5. eetupoika

eetupoika Member

oh, i made typos. i meant dvd deprypter, not decypher.

otherwise herb's post isn't helping me.

unless i'm really stupid (which i don't deny) and i've missed something else.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I ripped This Is Spinal Tap (R1) using DVD Decryptor with no problems. The original played fine on my computer as well. If you have access to another computer with a DVD-ROM drive you should try reading them on it to see what happens.

7. rottweil1

rottweil1 Member

I've also ripped This Is Spinal Tap (R1) with no problems in DVD Decrypter. It sounds like there's something wrong with the original DVD's, though you said there weren't any scratches. Have they been exposed to extreme heat/cold or anything like that?

The only time I've ever had problems ripping a DVD is when the original is scratched all to hell.

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

If you check box the option 'ignore read errors' in DVD Decrypter , there shouldn't be anything (other than really scratched discs) that wont rip/unencrypt.

I have done Four Weddings & A Funeral (R2) for my sister cos she thought the kids had scratched it but it cleaned up okay...I had absolutely no problem ripping/compressing/burning it

NUFF SAID

9. eetupoika

eetupoika Member

hi guys,

ok, i decided to follow your advice and try dvd decrypter again, but only after fetching its latest version.

you were right, decrypter is ripping Four Weddisng and a Funeral as i'm typing this.

but...

the disk has something special in it because as i clicked on "rip!", decrypter prompted: "Media region code is mismatched to logical unit region! The slower brute force cracking method will be used instead."

what does this mean? and how come all of a sudden a film like this is so well protected?

thanks for the advice!

10. samintx

samintx Regular member

Check my latest posts. I'm wondering if there is a new Copy Protection out. I have 5 titles that 321 CopyXpress says it made copies and there are no files on my computer and disk will not play on anything!

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Post the problematic DVD titles and see if anyone else has ripped them - il start a post!

12. samintx

samintx Regular member

The Quiet American
    One True Thing
    Iris
    Island of Dr. Moreau

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

14. eetupoika

eetupoika Member

dang.... :(

just as i suspected. dvd decrypter jammed at 8%´of the ripping process,

i'm totally awed. can't understand what is so much different with these titles.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2003