1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How could I find out which mod chip I have? Need to get online!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by hellbound, Jun 8, 2004.

1. hellbound

hellbound Member

Hi, I got a mod chip in march 2003. I wanted to know if my chip is a Magic 3 series or a Magic 5. I've been planning on getting a network adapter but I'm not sure if it will work. I tried a friend's before and I could get online with games like Midnight Club 2(copied), but games like need for speed underground(cpied) told me I had a dnsa error or something. I have a real copy of Champions of Norrath and I wanted to get online with it, would it work? Thanks in advance.

2. hellbound

hellbound Member

Well, that last msg might have been a little long, so heres the basic question:

Can the real copy of a game go online even if you have a mod chip in your ps2 but the game is real? I'm not sure which chip I have, I got it in march 2003, but its a magic version.

EDIT: I'm a little bit more certain that it is a Magiv V now

I rarely have to do any of those normal chipped steps to get my ps2 to play burned or real games(pushing the reset button multiple times, eject, reinsert, etc.), only on the rare occasion I'll have to do that. When I play DVD movies, it will skip sometimes, but for some reason the dvd player is perfectly fine now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

To get online with an original, you must disable your modchip. To get online with a backup, you must patch the backup with the dnas id from the original. http://www.ps2nfo.com to learn about dnas.

4. hellbound

hellbound Member

Are all chips able to shut off? Because I tried shutting off the chip todays and my dvd movies started playing perfectly again with out the sound skipping or movie skipping. However, I did not have to turn the chip back on again to play burned games, and did not have to shut it off again either to play movies, it just started working out of the blue.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004