1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did these Blockbuster guys know?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pu1po, Mar 4, 2005.

1. pu1po

pu1po Member

I've always thought there is no way you could tell if a DVD has been copied, but today when I was renting out one DVD at blockbuster, the guy checking it out told me: "Well, it seems like you have been burning many of your rentals, I'm going to have to ask you to stop doing that". He really caught me by surprise and I told him I didn't know how that was possible (well, I had copied two or three...), then he elaborated a little more, he kind of said they noticed it because one of the sides of the DVD looked "burned".
    Now, I still don't believe any of that, How is it possible that by just reading it, it gets "burned"? Or is it that silly disc-shield thing that gets transformed when you read the DVD at high speed?
    Anyone have any theories?
    ('cause the only thing certain is, somehow these guys knew)

2. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

The response that you give to him next time needs to be worded exactly as follows "Well, it seems like you have been pulling your dick, I'm going to have to ask you to stop doing that", if you need to elaborate further tell him you know this because he looks like a wanker.

The moral of the story, there is no way you can tell if a DVD has been copied, fullstop...

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

ask him/her if they are accussing you of pirating and if they say yes then ask to speak to the manager and se if they don't shit in their boots.

They cant accuse you of copying rentals, especially a customer.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That Blockbuster guy is so full of crap it must be coming out of his ears. The laser in a PC drive is the same as those in set top DVD players so there's no way a PC drive will make a disc look different when a set top won't.

I'd tell him to eat my shorts. Ask the manager if he wants your business or if he'd rather you give your money to NetFlix (which is a better idea anyway).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Now do you have that unlimited rentals offer or whatever it is. Because if your renting 3 dvd's at a time, and returning them within an hour or two, then it dosen't take a rocket scientist to know your not watching all of them. That's the only way I can see him suspecting anything, unless you returned a copied disc. Neph is right on both accounts, the laser and the Netflix.

I had a group of kids go around all the BB's and start fake accounts with my personal info. I got charged over 2000.00 in unreturned <sp?> charges, after I brought in the police report not so much as an I'm sorry or free box 'o milkduds. I'm not gonna start about their No-Late-Fee's propaganda, I'll save the rest for the safety valve.

Bottom-Line your the custom, the customer is ALWAYS right. I had to eat sh*t when I worked retail, and so should they.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

As far as blockbuster is concerned it shouldn't matter what they think. They cannot and should not ask that from a customer.

I can watch 2 movies in a few hours and be done with em and take them back and rent more. i never seen a policy where you cant rent them and bring them back the same day and rent more, if you have seen this policy then show it.

7. megabyte2

megabyte2 Guest

LOL, renting and returning with 2 hours thats funny! Now I dont think anyone here has ever thought about renting movies from netflix or blockbuster and copying them have we? The original person is a bad bad person naughty!

8. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Ok I definetly need to way in. Why do you think netflix, blockbuster online , or blockbuster exist? The average person has the net, tv, cable and so many other things to watch. Why do you think they came out with unlimited rentals??? They might not want to admit it, but they are cattering by default to copiers. There is no way blockbuster could ever tell you copied a disk. Never. No way. Not possible. Now if you go rent 2 disk bring them back and get 2 more 10 times in one day...ok yeah they got you. But they can't prove it....

9. amaze122

amaze122 Member

madgeek is on the right track. The only reason the Blockbuster and Netflix plans stating "rent five at a time" would ever exist is strictly for people who are copying them; [bold]nobody[/bold] watches that many movies...
    As for them knowing you copy movies, you probably just turned in a burned copy along with your returned movies one day,(I have almost done it myself).. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

11. dbennion

dbennion Member

The next thing you know, some guy is going to figure out if you join Netflix, time-shift every rental immediately then remail it same day, he will end up with a DVD library for < $2 a pop. When that happens, the industry will SCREAM that they are being ripped off, when the truth is that guy would never have actually bought a DVD at the ridiculous prices they charge.

12. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I have bollywood mvp and I can get 3 at a time which I do sometimes get 9-12 movies in a day. (I watch them in fast forward;p) I'm gonna get my money's worth and I dare one of them pimple-popping movie boys to say something. The reason they said is cause you let em. You gotta dive down their throat and pull their nads inside out. You are the customer and paid so tell em "STFU noob". Really though if you challenge them they will back down just ask me how I didn't pay the 35 in late fees..

13. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

I did read on the forum new one day that blockbuster and netflix disks had hidden encoding and connect to the internet when you put them in your computer. Could that be it? If so I recommend a firewall or a different video store.

14. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

15. zippyd

zippyd Active member

LMAO @xxme2xx

16. xxme2xx

xxme2xx Member

what? hehehe

17. zippyd

zippyd Active member

That's not even funny anymore

18. pieman

pieman Regular member

EEK.And i thought they knew cos they hide a tracking chip in the case.And the tv takes a photo of whoevers watching when the discs inserted.Boy can i sleep tonight!!By the way jacsac,what the hell is that metal tin thing your showing??lmao

19. killalot

killalot Active member

next time you take one back if he says the same again ask him if he would like a copy Ha Ha only jokeing guys.......

20. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Thats funny! Im gonna have to remember that one.