1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how did these viruses get through?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by comprun, Feb 25, 2005.

1. comprun

comprun Guest

sry in advance if this is not where i suppose to post this forum...........OK im really mad hre cuz i went and bought norton antivirus 2005 like 3 days ago....before i had norton antivirus 2002......but now with na2005 i did system scan and it found 20 viruses and it could only delete 10.........my ? is how did all these viruses get through to my comp.......and i do on the comp is just like play games and stuff.........nt2005 includes with norton internet security,norton antivirus,and norton anti-spam.........with these 3 things workin at once how did these ****** viruses get into my comp?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Many ways and many reasons. A virus can come out before Norton has a fix for it, and after you received it, you didn't keep your definitions up to date daily, some viruses are actually trackers placed in your PC while on the internet, other disks burned, copied, etc. from friends then placed in your PC. It can go on and on but if you had 20 at one time, sounds like your definitions were not being kept current, daily.

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I never have like Norton, My 1st pc did'nt even have a Internet connection and i still got a nasty virus which i think was down to Norton Anti Virus, I have used Mcafee virus/firewall for a few years had i have to say its way better than Norton, next time go for Mcafee. But as ScubaBud said it could just be down to your defintions not being up to date. Also make sure you have Anti spyware software too that really helps me.

Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

customer had norton 2003 with all updates didn't find 13 viruses that avg7 found & deleted. another had 2004, found the virus but not delete it so did online scan with antivirus.com found & deleted the virus

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I can see how that could be since what a customer might tell you and what they actually do often can be two different stories, especially when it comes to updating their virus definition files and performing an actual scan on a regular basis.

Myself:

Auto Update daily.
    PC’s set to do a complete scan once a week.
    Using Norton A/V 2005.
    PC’s on 24/7 along with broadband.
    Last full scan done this past Saturday, 2:00 am.

Results: No viruses found, almost 99% always the case.

Just completed the online www.antivirus.com virus scan and are posting the results below:

(Removed links for bandwidth)

Again I state that if you actually perform a quality virus scan on a regular basis and have the latest virus definitions loaded you should not have 20 viruses sitting in your PC. I am sure that one program might find one that the other didn’t, but those might be tracker style viruses through Java, etc.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  6. wild77

wild77 Guest

I used to have Norton and did not like it.Recently switched to Trend Micro's Internet Security 2005.It works great,but you still have to keep it updated as with any anti virus programs.

7. comprun

comprun Guest

thanks alot all who responed.....i have now just formatted my comp so im startin fresh and i will try keep things up to date and a virus scan once a week..thanks again