1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I adjust the laser on a ps2 slim?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ginge70, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Ginge70

Ginge70 Member

Hi all!

I thought my sons ps2 slim had gone to the great ps2 in the sky when it suddenly started clicking and refused to read disks. The laser was just not able to read anymore. I picked the consol up and as I tilted it a little bit it started working. Now we keep it standing on its side but that's not a viable solution. I've read several posts here on how to adjust laser angle on the old ps2s but none that invilves the slim model. Can anyone help? Any walkthroughs out there I haven't seen?

Ginge

2. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Well, I had these issues. The laser is wearing out.
    Clicking means the laser is colliding with your Discs.
    It won't be long before you will see Circular scrathes all around discs. you can have it REPLACED.

3. kcwells

kcwells Regular member

i have a slim but have mainly done work on the older ps2's. from what i understand the slim's do not have a laser adjustment like the old ones. maybe try cleaning the laser

4. Gparanoia

Gparanoia Guest

Hello guys, first post :D

I have a similar problem. I have a ps2 slim and it stoped reading dvd's. Cd's played fine until i read somewhere that i should clean the lense with alcool. I did it gently, but I did press enuff to notice the lense is a moving ( up and down ) part. I waited for the alcool to dry and then tried some discs. Now, even the cd's don't work anymore and i have a clicking sound that i don't think it was there. I've already opened the unit and it seems that the lense is touching the disc so i think it's just a matter of adjusting the height of the lense but i don't think i can adjust it like on FAT ps2's. Someone told me that it's not possible to adjust it, but i should try to adjust the gain/power of the laser. It's easy to find info on that for older models but i can't find anything for the slim version.

Any help is apreciated. Even a advice to just forget it and buy a replacement laser. By the way, is it still possible to buy it for a v12 model?

5. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Why not you don't have any option but to replace the Laser.
    And you cant ADJUST height of Slim PS2s, only way that would be possible to do would be to over-tighten the rubbered screws but that isnt practical.

6. questor42

questor42 Member

It is possible to adjust the laser the same as the fat ps2's
    Slims have the same type of adjustment pots, It might give you a few more days or weeks of use but it would be better to simply change the whole assy. I have seen them on ebay and ps2 parts sellers on the net from $29.00 to $39.00 you get a new frame, laser, spin motor, micro switch and worm screw motor already adjusted with no playing around.
    You can also buy just the laser for a few bucks less but you would have to make adjustments.

Hope this helps you

7. Ginge70

Ginge70 Member

Well, there is one other solution. Turn the ps2 upside down, wobble it gently and squeeze it a little bit. It worked for me, hehe. Sure beats fiddeling for hours with tweezers and screwdrivers.

Ginge

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Newbie

OK. Just went through this with my PS2 Slim.

I'm a bit surprised at how much bad information is out there.

Anyway, my symptoms were that the unit could read DVDs but could not read PS2 game discs. The laser was clean, and cleaning it more didn't help.

Long story short, there are laser power adjustment pots in the slim as well. They are inconveniently located on the bottom of the laser pickup assembly. To get to them, carefully pull out the flexible cable at the front, and the smaller one on the side - you will probably want to use needle nose pliers for this. Leave the larger one on the side in place. Then remove the four grommet screws at the corners of transport. You can then carefully flip the transport over and you'll see the two pots. They are marked DVD and CD.

On mine I actually had to adjust the CD pot, turning it clockwise almost a quarter turn, in order to get the unit to read PS2 discs (I was using Kingdom Hearts, which is a DVD, not a CD, but I guess DVD-ROM uses both CD and DVD tracks). I made several tries, adjusting both the DVD and CD pot before finding a configuration that worked, with the DVD pot back where it was originally (I took a photo of the two pots before I started, so I could reset them if needed). I also tried testing with an audio CD, but I was never able to get the unit to play it. Do PS2s normally play audio CDs?

9. nisit yeesibsee

nisit yeesibsee Newbie

hi i am new here.
    this forum was useful for me.
    thanks so much for any good answer.
    hope to hearing good answer in every topic.

thank you
    nisit24

10. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

Ok lets start from ground one..

How to adjust a laser on a fat ps2 also known as model: SCPH30001

in this model there is a white gear located inside the ps2 cd drive unit this gear needs adjusting until it reads dvd dvd r and cd r ps2 blue disk ps2 silver disk ps2 gray disk psone disk once adjusted correctly the console will play everything no problems

Now for the slim its a lot harder.

items you need.

1. a voltage meter to measure the voltage at the pot failure to do so can result in burning a hole through a disk and then burning the laser out completely.

2. a small none metal screw driver (they do make them also known as tv adjustment screwdrivers there plastic so you don't fry yourself or your tv.)

3. several garbage disks to try.

Burn a dvd movie for a dvd test

Burn a music cd for a music cd test

have a blank dvd r for the please insert a valid playstation 2 disk in the drive test

have a black cd-r for the same error message

The reason for this is once the drive is tuned correctly all of these options should work on the ps2 without fail.

Now how to adjust the laser:

you need to dismantle the ps2 to get access to the laser in the console you need to check the voltage first at the ribbon cable that is connected to the laser this ensures you have 5 volts going into the laser which is required for the laser to function.

if you do great if you don't your main board is dead time for a new used ps2.

once you have confirmed 5 volts at the ribbon cable you need to get access to the pot screws on the laser itself adjust the screw place the console back together and try to read all the disks again if any fail keep adjusting until they all work no fail and thats it

11. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

or you could just measure the resistance of the pots w/o using the voltage... dvd should be under 1k and cd should be over 1k... using a digital meter set on 2k ohms normal reading should be 950-970 for dvd and 1050-1100 for cd.... if the reading is correct and it wont read the dvd/cd disk adjust the correct pot in increments of 5 until it does start to read.... this is a temporary solution and if the ps2 stops reading the disks again you should replace the whole laser... adding more resistance to the pots will burn the diode...

12. Miku Hatsune

Miku Hatsune Newbie

My PS2 Slim has a laser adjuster somewhere. My PS2 Slim plays fine. The laser is just cutting a clean circle onto my favorite games and it's pissing me off!!

13. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

the laser is running way too hot.. or it's actually a mechanical fault (scratch not burn) .. follow the instructions above.. back off the laser pots until it stops reading.. then bring them slowly back up until they just read reliably.. take a good clear photo of where they are set before you begin.. a multimeter as in the post by Cyprien is a real asset.. though he doesn't bother to say between which of the 3 pins on the pot he is taking the reading.. so 50/50 on getting the right side of the pot.. and as it's over 10 years since I even saw a slim ps2.. I can't remember..

14. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

yeah.. i should have clarified on which pins you measure... shame on me but if i remmber right it should be either top two pins on the pot or the bottom middle pin and top left pin.... i think the bottom pin is ground.. might be wrong lol i even think it depends on the models? or all laser units are the same configuration? its also been a while for me since i touched a ps2.... as for scrathing.... i think its the flex cable and not the lens itself.... check the flex cable coming out of the laser itself since the ps2 actually commands the unit to put the head as close as possible to the spindle(the disk spinning thingy)... to keep the cable straight... before we all start guessing why it happens do a visual inspection... check the ribbon cable if its damaged you can also check the lens.. the lens can be damaged if its scratching the disks it will be damaged only on one side since the disks spin in one direction...