1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I Burn an Audio Book on Cd's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Twmuise, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Twmuise

Twmuise Member

Please help. I have a Downloaded audio book and there is always and error when I try to burn it using Windows Media Player. This is what the error says:
    "Some files might not fit on the CD. The required space cannot be calculated accurately because some files might be missing duration information. To ensure the calculation is accurate, play the files that are missing duration information"
    The book is 6.5 hrs long and my cds are 80 minutes.

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Are they mp3 files?

3. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

If you need to shave some minutes off, an option would be to use an editor like Nero Wave Editor.

4. Twmuise

Twmuise Member

Yes they are mp3 files. I have read somewhere about mp3 splitting but know nothing about that. Is this something I need to look into

5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

there's a free program called audacity that's an audio editor if you want to split it. I haven't found a split track function yet but it can be done another way - not as easy though, maybe someone else can fill me in.

Basic instructions

1. Go to [bold]Project>import audio[/bold], and locate your file, or click and drag your file to the blank area of the screen. It may take a few minutes to load.
    2. When that's done you should see your audio file depicted in sound waves. The bar above it should have a timeline on it that will help you decide where to make changes since you have too much to begin with - it should be about 80min in your case. You can also use all the play features above.
    3. As far as editing the song to meet your needs you can go two ways, but you're basically doing the same operation: taking part out and leaving some

>>>A. simply split the track into two parts - easier, but 2 cds. Start at the middle of your soundwave. Click and drag the mouse all the way to the left, selecting/highlighting the first half of your audio file. Go to [bold]file>export selection as Wav[/bold]. Rename your file xxxx - part a. The part you exported is still selected. Go to [bold]Edit>Delete[/bold] to get rid of that part, it's already saved on it's own. You're left with the second half of your file. Go to [bold]File>export as wav[/bold]. Rename this xxxx - part b. You now have 2 files and you can burn on on each cd

>>>B. Delete a small portion of the file - better because you'll only need one cd. This works best if your have a 1-2 minute introduction or any section, for that matter, of the audio that you can delete. You can listen to different sections of audio by moving the cursor to that area and pressing play. Once you find what parts are disposable select that area of the soundwave go to [bold]edit>delete[/bold], then go to [bold]file>export as wav[/bold]. That's how you shave some time off of a long audio file

***Note: Audacity's default and only option for mp3 is 128kb/s so I figured it safest to explain it as if you were saving as a wav.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  6. Twmuise

Twmuise Member

Wow, thank you very much it worked perfectly. This is the best site ever.