1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i burn avi files into a dvd+r blank media playable?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by manifesto, Nov 21, 2003.

1. manifesto

manifesto Guest

how can i get the .avi file to be burn onto a blank dvd? what programs do i use to burn an avi file?. if anyone knows the process please explain it to me like if you are explaining it to a 2nd grader

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can"t Put an AVI file on a DVD and Have it Play on your DVD Player...Your AVI file will have to be converted to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 format useing a High Quality Mpeg encoder, and then you will have to author the Mpeg2 file and audio to a DVD-R useing a DVD authoring Program...But I can not explain to you how to do it Properly like you were a 2nd Grader because a 2nd Grader could not do something like this no matter how I explained it ..This is Not a simple Task that you can learn in a couple hours or even a couple Days because there are so many Variables that will determine how you would go about doing this so you can get the best Possible result...A Good Place to go is here :http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ , Just copy and Paste the address in your Browzer and go to the site and you will find a LOT of information of what you need to know and there are many Guides there also....cheers

4. Mark7

Mark7 Member

Actually, it's not all that difficult. Use TMPGEnc. Use the "wizard" and select "DVD"/"NTSC" (if you'e in the US or Japan).
    Click on "Next" and select the .avi video file in the upper box.

If the .avi file was recorded properly, it will use the .avi audio file also automatically.

Click "Next" a couple times, to the bitrate setting window. Here you will see how much room your avi will consume. Reduce the filesize (in the lower box) to about 3.9 gigs if its over that.

Click "Next" and choose where you want to save the m2+wav files it will produce.

OK, you're halfway there...

Now use TMPGEncDVD Author. Use the "wizard" here also to start a "new project".

In the "Source Setup" window, use the "Add file window" to enter the .m2 file that was created earlier.

Then click on the "Create Menu" box at the top.

As a begginer, make it easy: Click on the "Display Menu", then "General", select "Only Main Menu". Then click on the "Chapter Display" tab and uncheck the box there.

Then click on the "Output" box at the top.

Then "Begin Output" button in the middle of the page.

After it makes the .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files necessary, it will ask you if you want to burn the DVD. EIther say yes - or use Nero to burn.

If your .avi was of good quality, you'll wind up with an excellent playing DVD.

The above sounds much more complicated than it actually is. My 11 year old daughter captures movies off the cable, compresses them with DivX, then uses TMPGEnc's to make excellent DVD's. She captures at very high bit rates, and encodes them also at high bit rates for best quality.

It's almost a "no-brainer".........

Mark7

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Accept that as you probably know Things never go smoothly when first starting out, Especially when the Movies they want to Put on DVD are Movies downloaded off the net that useully have a corrupt Index, VBR Mp3 or AC3 audio, Framerates that are non standard, and Wierd Resolutions and Aspect ratios and a whole host of other problems that makes explaining and Understanding how to do everything a real Problem ..So you end up haveing to explain how to Do NTSC/Pal conversion, and How to Rebuild the Index and How to extract the audio to Wav format and then How to Arrange the Image so that it looks Proper in the Frame..Then there is the Problem with a Lot of downloaded movies being of XviD format which Tmpgenc does not Like at all and will allmost allways error out with these files so you then have to explain how to Frameserve which is one of the only way to get Tmpgenc to encode Xvid files..Then when It comes to the DVD authoring Poeple allways Use the Wav file that Tmpgenc Makes to author the DVD which Just takes away from the Video Quality, So you have to explain How to encode the Wav file to AC3 which is what they should be doing with the Wav file not useing it to author the DVD ..When you make the source Files yourself it allmost allways goes really smothly But with downloaded files all you have are Troubles Like this, so that I why I said it will Take a Bit of learning and some commitment if you want to put AVI files on to DVD...Cheers

6. manifesto

manifesto Guest

ok i appreciate the help, and i understand the problems a movie downloaded from the net might bring. but just to be in the same page as you guys i will list the programs that i have and hopefully you guys can tell me if these are the right ones for the job: tmpgenc, ifo edit,avi codec, and nero burning rom, if you have any idea on how to make these programs useful and teach me on how to use these ill appreciate it. specially tmpgenc, since it has problems reading xvid files and thats the file that i want to convert to dvd

7. koola

koola Guest

TMPGEnc is great for converting DivX/XviD into a DVD compliant MPEG.
    I have a guide for this at my site. (Link below)

8. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

TMPGEnc is the way to go for you manifesto, but be prepared for the fact that some trial and error may be involved. Like Minion says, there are a lot of variable to consider when using downloaded files.

However, the sites mentioned are all goldmines of info that should get you going.

Kools's link has some good guides, Minion's nod to www.dvdrhelp.com is on the money as this is a goldmine of information, and I can add www.doom9.org to the list. Finally, there is a new AVI to DVD guide that was recently added to afterdawn...check that out too.

Between these sites you should be up and running in no time flat. (Well, except for the fact that TMPGEnc is as slow as it is good.)

Good luck

9. koola

koola Guest

MainConcepts MPEG Encoder can be used instead of TMPGEnc. The MainConcept Encoder take just over 2 hours to convert a full DivX movie to a DVD compliant MPEG.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Thats pretty impressive... what's the hardwarre platform?

11. koola

koola Guest

I'm runing on a 64 bit AMD FX with 1024MB, PC4000, 1 x 120GB Seagate SATA HD and 1 x 40GB Seagate SATA HD and the fastest GPU ever invented: Volari Duo Detail here: http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_duo.htm

But it also work on my dads AMD 2000XP, 512MB PC 2700, ATI Radeon 9800 XT, Win 2003

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If you used CCE to encode you would get even faster encodes...It takes about 45 minutes to encode a 2 hour AVI file to Mpeg2 DVD on My 2.5ghz(OC to 2.8)PC..So with your System you should be able to do it even faster and CCE encodes for Mpeg2 are Better quality than Mainconcept and Tmpgenc....cheers

13. koola

koola Guest

Thanks for the tip Minion, I will give CCE a go and post back the time. I hope I can get a encoding time under 30mins lol.

14. gruel

gruel Member

im having the same problems as manifesto, and i would just like to say thanks to you all for the time an efort youve spent giving us this great info, (even though my heads spinning a bit after reading all that) :)

15. Mark7

Mark7 Member

Don't worry, Gruel. Just jump in and start burning. Actually, get a few R-W disks to practice with!!

A couple months ago I was very frustrated because I bought a DVD burner and went to convert my library of DivX movies to DVD. I searched, queried, and became disgusted with most of the advice I received - far too much B.S.!!

Now I have 2 DVD burners and have converted more than 100 DivX movies to DVD and friends and relatives marvel at the quality compared to those that they purchase.

I don't copy DVD's so I can't give you the best approach in that area - but if you capture movies with a video capture card and want to make first class DVD's from them, I can I can help you out there!!

Again, just jump in and DO IT!!

16. gruel

gruel Member

at last, after nearly 3months ive finaly got it working. there is some B.S going about yeh but i have found a great deal of good advice on this site, so im after some more, although ive finaly got it working it is still REALY slooooow 7hours to encode it to mpeg an thats before i author it wich is lookig about another 5 hours, is this normal. and is it possible to put mp3 or audio (music) onto a dvd rw +or- if so how?? ;)

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is Definately something wrong...I can see the encodeing takeing a Few Hours depending on the Encoder and the Speed of your PC (Tmpgenc is Really Slow) but the Authoring shouldn"t take much longer than it takes to Burn the data to a DVD-R...I think your DVD authoring Program is Re-Encodeing your Mpeg files before burning them to DVD which it Should NOT be doing if the Files were encoded to mpeg2 DVD properly in the First Place or it is Just a Crappy DVD authoring Program Like "Nero Vision Express" ...You should use a DVD authoring Program that does not encode your Files because when it re-encodes your Files it greatly reduces the Final Quality and as you noticed it takes much longer...

18. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

whats a good dvd authoring program?
    how long should divx to dvd take on my 1.3ghz

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well The encodeing is takeing about as Long as It should But the DVD authoring Shouldn"t take more than 40 minutes from the Time you have finnished setting up the menu"s and chapters till the Disk is finnished burning..It should take about 20 minutes to format the Mpeg2 files with the menu"s and Chapters to a Video_TS folder, and then 20 to 60 minutes to burn to DVD-R depending on how fast of a DVD Burner you have and the media you are useing...One really good DVD authoring Program That I have been useing is Called "DVD Lab, you can download a 30 day demo from http://www.mediachange.com/dvdlab/"....Cheers

20. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member