1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I capture? is a DV cam or not?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ChrisMike, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The PVR-250 will capture to your hard drive, and because hardware is doing all the work, you can use your computer to do other stuff while it's capturing.
    I regularily do 8 hour captures (doing one right now) from VHS, and surf, edit video, encode video, burn dvd's, whatever, all at the same time.
    No need for a newer/bigger drive. Just make sure that you are using NTFS file system (for captures over 4 gig, which is about 2 hours).
    I use GB-PVR to capture. It also includes an interactive program guide for TV, the options to tweak the video during capture (brightness, contrast, etc.), as well as being a player/viewer for your captures and DVD's (and some other stuff too!)
    It is also FREE!

To do a screen shot, just hit the "PrintScreen" button on your keyboard. This puts it into the clipboard (memory). Open up any image editor (I use Irfanview), and hit CTRL+V. You can then save it as a .jpg
    If you have multiple windows open, and you only want to screenshot the ACTIVE one, hold the ALT key down, and hit the "PrintScreen" button. CTRL+V it into irfanview (or other graphics app).
    I then put it on the internet somewhere. My ISP gives me space, and I use FTP to put it there.
    I then put a link in my typing on here, and it appears.
    Just like this:
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

rebootjim,
    I did install the PVR 250 V 2.2A, since no plans to watch or record TV, I just installed the drivers, MPEG SW Decoder and Ulead Movie maker. I di not download and installed any updates. As you review these notes, please keep in mind that my V cam is still hooked up to my PCI fire wire and as of now I did not puchase S plug. Results:

Using NVE3 was able to capture I think direct from V cam, a bit dark but but stable and very nice quality. Not to many option were available. Captured video was about 1.30 min long and the file was about 299MG. WinTv PVR 250 did appear in a drop window but failed to capture.

Using Ulead, with some minor adjustments in the capture window I was able to capure (I think it was direct from my V cam), with same problems and just about the same results as above, but the same video captured was only 89MG.

So I am not sure what is capturing what and how? And why do I have such much better V quality.
    I think both aplication are using PCI fire wire and when I purchase and use the S plg it all will be trough PVR-250. What is going on?

Chris

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

NVE and Ulead use completely different encoding engines. You also have the settings differently in each.
    You could change things around, and have a HUGE high quality file in Ulead, and a very poor file in NVE.
    It's all in the config.
    In NVE, click the More button at the bottom, and then click Video options, then the Video tab.
    Under Quality settings, drop it down to Custom, then you can set your own capture bitrate, resolution, encoding mode, and audio type.

NVE does not work with the Canopus PVR-250.
    Unless you plug the cam into the 250, all your capture is through firewire, which is fine, as long as it's doing what you want.
    During capture, did NVE report any dropped frames? Ulead doesn't have that option, so don't bother looking :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  4. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Maybe my bad on info, I installed wintv pvr 250.
    Using NVE, I think it was a direct transfer via my fire wire and maybe thats why the file was so big for only 1.5 min of video (maybe thats where the big HD comes into play). There were no droped frames.

Doing a direct transfer in NVE I was not able to get at any other options, but a Capturing Template:DVD and Quality: DV 1 or 2. Maybe when I use S video connections and if wintv pvr 250 will work with NVE, then mybe my options will change. I will look into this again and will post.

I sure don't want go and buy a big old HD, So I want to focus on using the WinTV Pvr 250.
    Sounds like you don't like Ulead!

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Unless you plug the cam into the PVR-250 somehow, it will not work. You have it plugged into firewire, thus the PVR-250 isn't doing anything.
    If you want to capture using the PVR-250, you need to plug the cam into it, and then use something to capture. NVE does not work with the PVR-250, but Ulead will, although it's settings are very limited.
    When you say, "I installed wintv pvr 250", do you mean you actually bought the card, and have it in the computer?
    If so, install the software that came with it, all of it. This will give you "WinTV2000", which is fairly good capture software. Then run the config, to set up the source (Composite, S-Video, or Tuner), whichever you have the cam plugged into.

6. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Yes I did install it. I did pick up S Video cable and I think it will work just fine. No, I did not install all of the software for Wintv PVR 250, I was counting on Ulead to do the job, maybe I should install it anyway, wont hurt. Jus so I am thinking straight.

Once the Digital cam is hooked up to Wintv 250 card, the card then does the video transfer/capture and encodes into MPEG1/2. Applicable software provided aid in transfer and fine tunning. You then are able to save the video to a folder. You can then burn it as is or edit and then burn it. Is that ok way to think?

?? If my camera is digial and it is just a transfer via Wintv 250 and it is encoded, then why do I have to adjust the software to received the video transfer?

7. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

rebootjim will need a bit more help, but I am getting closer.

1)From my Dig Cam via a S Video Using WinTV Pvr 250.
    In Ulead I was able to Capture, still looks dark, but video otherwise looks good. But, I have no audio. I did try some min options but no go.

2)From my Dig Cam via a S Video Using WinTV Pvr 250.
    In WinTV 2000, was able to capture, not sure how I set it up, but it was there, I think I set it to channel 1 or something. But, I have no audio. I did try some options but I am a bit lost in this one and no go with audio.

Can I get some help from you in setting this up.

3)From my Dig Cam via a S Video Using WinTV Pvr 250.
    In NVE nothing at all as before.

I did check my audio via a music CD and it works well. Also audio works well using my Dig cam via a Fire Wire PCI card.

Thanks,

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Your cam is not sending an mpeg-2 file, it's sending a DV-cam signal, and the card encodes to mpeg-2 on the fly. The only settings you change are for quality.

For audio from your cam, you need an audio cable from the cam, to the audio in, on the capture card. It's a stereo micro plug, just like the speakers plug on the back of the computer.

In Wintv2000 config, you need to set the source to S-video, because that's what the cam is plugged in to.
    The same applies with the audio cable, you need to specify the incoming audio source, Line In (in this case). If you're watching TV, then the audio source is TV Tuner.

Again, NVE does not work with the PVR-250. Ulead does a better job anyhow (IMHO), although you can capture in WinTV2000, then import the mpg into Ulead for editing and authoring/burning.
    Capture in whatever makes you more comfortable. I prefer Wintv2k because of the settings. More configurable, and easier to use.

9. ChrisMike

ChrisMike Member

Thanks,
    I thought the S video cable took care of audio as well, so thats were I was looking. Plus, my old cameras docking station has 2 Audio rca jacks, L/R. I did find a cable at home with small stereo jack on one end and rca on the other and it works, I will pick up a splitter to complete the stereo sound.

Thanks a lot for stying with me on this, and maybe will talk in edditing and authoring section of the forum. Hope I can help others as I learn,

Thanks,

Chris

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Heh, it's called S-video, not S-audio/video <grin>
    Make sure you get the right type of splitter. Some simply mix both channels from the cam, into a mono signal.
    If ya wanna talk DVDLab Pro authoring, look me up any time! :)