1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change my burning speed with Shrink and Nero?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sholmes, Dec 30, 2004.

1. sholmes

sholmes Member

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and I just got a 16x dual layer (but have only dvd5's) and have been burning some movies. Sometimes, the DVD doesn't come out right and I think it's cuz it's on too high of a speed (the DVD itself can handle 8x..but i trust 4x). I use dvdShrink 3.2.0.15 and have the "Use nero" button clicked so it'll burn right after..so it asks me for a blank DVD, i insert, etc...but i can't seem to figure out where exactly to go in Nero (Nero express 6) and where to click so i can change my default burning speed to 4x from it's current 8x..i tried clicking "burn speeds" or something, but this was to no avail. can someone help me? thank you!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

You do it in dvd shrink. When you hit backup, click the burn options tab.

3. sholmes

sholmes Member

Thanks, I see it now, but the only two options i have are "MAXIMUM" (which it was on previously) and "16.0x"...if i have a 16x burner..isnt' 16x = maximum? I can't seem to get to 4x..please respond, thank you!

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Try setting it in Nero. It should obey that setting -

Pete

Happy New Year

5. sholmes

sholmes Member

Thanks, but I need to know some explicit instructions. I tried going to Nero, and I tried clicking "Change Burn Speeds" but i could only change read speed...i can't seem to find the option of changing the DVD speed.

6. sholmes

sholmes Member

Sorry, correction, i meant i can't find how to change DVD Burning speed.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

In Nero Burning ROM it's under "Burn" (what else?)

In Nero Express it's called "Writing Speed" (Sound's about right.)

Open the proggy, set the speed, close the proggy -

I can't explain much more, it really isn't all that hard -

Good Luck -

8. sholmes

sholmes Member

Can't seem to find it...(i'm really a newbie). i opened up startsmart, and i went to "Extras" and i see "Control Drive's Speed" but they're all about reading, not writing. I can't seem to find "Writing Speed"...is it a section that opens up upon burning...like the other guy said, something comes up only when i click "back-up"? and like i said about this one, i only see "max" and 16.0x...well if you can't seem to figure it out, it's okay, thank you for your time anyways! :)

9. CoreyT

CoreyT Member

That is weird, as on my burn tab in Shrink I have a drop down box to set it from speed 2 to up to max.
    I am using the new Sony DRU-710a.

I made a backup of my Resident Evil 2 movie at 8x, and it came out not working right in the DVD player for the TV, but worked OK for the PC.

I reburned it at 4x, and the movie came out perfect.
    I should also mention I had to use the program called VOB Blanker mentioned in numerous posts here to get Shrink to work with the files.
    Corey

10. sholmes

sholmes Member

Really? Darn. How is it so complicated to change burn speeds! I keep getting cryptic answers and I'm not a comp whiz, haha. I've been searching every place I could on both Nero and DVD Shrink and I can't seem to find a place to slow it down to 4x..i have DVD shrink version 3.2.0.15..should i get the newer one or something, maybe it's in there? i dunno, i'm really lost. thanks.

11. CoreyT

CoreyT Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  12. sholmes

sholmes Member

You seem to be using full-dsic, i'm re-authoring. does that make a difference? I'm re-authoring, and clicking and dragging the main title over. and i only see max and 16x.

13. CoreyT

CoreyT Member

I have never ever reauthored a DVD with Shrink.
    I just open up the DVD with the "Open Disc" button, then after it is done looking at it, I hit the "Backup" button."

In the case of Resident Evil 2 though, I used the "Open Files" button, as I used VOB Blanker to rip the DVD to my hard drive first to overcome Shrink not being able to rip it.

First movie I have ran across that the Shrink could not do.
    Corey

14. sholmes

sholmes Member

hum, alright. is there anyone else who re-author's and has a solution to my problem?

15. sholmes

sholmes Member

anyone?

16. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Relax. First Sly, then CoreyT answered your question. To elaborate, it doesn't matter whether you are doing a straight backup or re-authoring, you have access to the same menus for changing your burn options.

"To bring up the backup options screens you just need to click the Backup! button in the toolbar in the top of DVD Shrink window." [Quote from guide in link below]

I'm sure there are complete guides here but I used this one to guide me through my first use of DVD Shrink and the quote above is directly from the guide about half way down the page.
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/16/59/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  17. CoreyT

CoreyT Member

One more thing you did not mention was the brand and model of your device.

Every DVD device is upgradable from the maker with a patch called "firmware."

Since mine is a Sony DRU-710a, their support site shows a new firmware upgrade for mine which I applied within minutes of putting the burner in the PC, and added some new features to it such as more speeds avaialable.

You might check the makers site to see if yours has a firmware upgrade which might even solve your problem here.
    Corey

18. sholmes

sholmes Member

I heard that somewhere, but the makers of my drive are Emprex. I tried searching online, but it was to no avail. Not sure where I can get drivers, or this "firmware".

19. CoreyT

CoreyT Member

They do not have a website?
    That is going to be the only place where you can get firmware from.
    COrey

20. Veblin

Veblin Active member

How about here.
    http://www.emprex.com/03_support_02.php?group=57&kind=1

There is a Live Update Program that you can download and run and it is supposed to determine the firmware you need and install it.
    Or you can just pick your firmware from the list if you are a little more brave.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005