1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change my CPU's Voltage?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by yugioh2me, Jan 17, 2005.

1. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

Hi,

I was wondering how to change my computer's voltage.

I have an ECS N2U400-A Ultra 400 Nforce2 Motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2700+

I have checked in the BIOS and it does not give me an option to change the voltage. It only shows it.

If you have any suggestions/programs to change the voltage, can you please post them here?

Thx!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm not entirely sure, and it may depend on your motherboard, but I don't think you can change the voltage of your CPU. I think that's hardwired into your board. Why do you need to change it? If you have the right CPU for your board you shouldn't need to change the voltage.

3. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

i mean not the cpu, but the motherboard's voltage (so i can overclock and so my computer can handle the overclock. I had problems overclocking in the past, so someone suggested chacnging the voltage)

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Check to see if the same place that displays the voltage in your BIOS has another settings that says something like "enable user settings" or something similar. My voltage and cpu settings are darked out and unchangeable when it is set to use the "default" or "best" settings. I have to change it to "user".

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I use abit uguru program because I have an abit motherboard however you may be able to use the software overclocks on that on a none abit mobo you could try it, youve got nowt to lose.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

On mine, you don't change the actual voltage. You change the multiplier. I use the program (Fuzzy Logic) that came with my MSI mobo.

7. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

I can overclock (change the FSB) my CPU and memory directly from the BIOS. Its the voltage I cant chenge (there isnt even a "user" option and all of the voltage stuff is grayed out).

If anyone has any suggestions, please post!

Thx!

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you check for bios updates???

9. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I've never seen a mobo that new not have a voltage uping option. Unless that mobo is extremely not overclocker friendly.

I almost hate to ask but have you looked in the manual?

Also, as ddp suggested, it might be available with a later BIOS update.

10. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

I'm using an ECS Elitegroup N2U400-A Ultra 400 Nforce 2 mobo and does not have an option to increase the voltage

I tried using Nvidia System Utility but it says "Cannot find nvoclock.sys"

I'm all out of ideas here and I cant find any BIOS updates on ECS's website, but i'll check again

11. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Ok, I looked around on some other forums I frequent and that board does not support vcore or vdimm modifying.

From the post I read, people were using a wire trick to get unlocked barton's to up to 1.85V.

Here's the thread.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=254002

12. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

nvm,

I got another tool called H Monitor which can change the voltage !!!!!! :)

Now I have a question...How much should I increase the voltage by?

I'm increasing in 0.05 increments. Is that too low or too high?

Thanks for the help!

13. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'm not really sure how this thing works. Does it change the voltage and you change your FSB settings while in windows?

Or, do you set the vcore and then reboot and the BIOS accepts this as the vcore. If it doesn't set the BIOS' vcore then you'd have to oc in windows, obviously if you changed your FSB to a high setting and rebooted it wouldn't work because the vcore isn't set in the BIOS.

If it does save the vcore and set it with the BIOS as well, then I'd up it by .25 for every 10MHz or so you go up in the FSB.

I'd honestly just leave it be until you can't get into windows or can't post, and if you can't get into windows then I'd up it by .25 slowly. No Post and I'd up it by .5 Be careful not to push it too hard. Watch your temps! As you raise the vcore, so the temps will raise to.

14. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

OK, here are my results so far:

without changing the Vcore I raised my FSB from 166 to 173 and was still stable to get a grand total speed of about 2.3 GHz

after changing the Vcore, nothing happened in the BIOS and it still stayed the same (it isnt changing at all). So I try increasing the FSB anyways. I increase from 173 to 175 and it gets unstable and then a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death - just making sure :).

Then I try Ocing my memory for fun and then the PC doesnt boot. I reset the CMOS and now am back to 166 FSB. I could change it to 173 FSB and still be stable, but i want to try OCing more. I'll try and increase the Vcore by .5 and see what happens.

Thx!

15. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

i found out that h sensor doesnt increase the vcore, the tab for increasing is just to set the normal values for it to monitor the values.

That was stupid.

Have any more ideas on how to change the vcore?

Thx!

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I hate to sound condescending but are you using either a "Dell/Time/Tiny/PAckard Bell" or any other pre made apckage sytstem? They often are shipping without any overclocdking options so that users are forced to upgrade every few years....

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

thats why i don't endorse the name brand computers because of lack of upgradeability

18. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Agreed, ddp, and indienemo. The only time i'd recommend a brand name computer is for someone who is extreme computer illiterate and will never do any kinds of modifications to it. And that's just because sometimes they can get a good warranty for it. People like that are more likely to break something and having a comp from a brand name, they don't have to worry about much but shipping it off and waiting for it to come back.

Albeit, I had a bad run in with Dell Tech support once. My Aunt's room mate had a dell that was about a year old. She was moving out and her dumb ass didn't unscrew the video card cable from the board. Instead, she jerked it out and ripped the whole damn video card socket off the board. The computer did function, sort of. It turned on and off, but I could never get it to give a video signal. Tried putting in a PCI card but I'm not sure if it was just bad or the comp didn't auto-switch to the PCI card. Who knows... anyway, this happened about 2 months before the warranty was up. She called Dell about it and they're the ones who told her to try a PCI video card in it and see. They beat around the bush not returning her calls and when they did, telling her we were doing things wrong, etc... They didn't want to take the computer back at all. Kept trying dumb ass work-around methods to get it working. Eventually, the two months was over and the VERY next time she called Dell to ask for some more help, they told her that her warranty was up and they couldn't help her anymore. What a load of shit. I've never seen such bad customer service in my entire life, with any company I've had to deal with.

About the original board, all he has left is the wire mod trick. I think it gets the vcore up to 1.85V but then again that's going to make it pretty damn hot. 1.85V even sends my little mobile into the high 40°C and I have an slk900a and an 80mm tornado.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  19. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

nope, its not any Dell package or anything.

Its from ECS Elitegroup and it has overclocking options but just not an option to change the voltage...

20. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

so anyone?

I got it to Overclock to a 3200+ (2.21 GHz) and I got the memory to Overclock to PC 3200

I'll see how much firther I can go...