1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I compress VOB files without an ifo in DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by evh5150ca, Mar 24, 2005.

1. evh5150ca

evh5150ca Member

I used WinAvi to convert a season of Seinfeld which is 22 avi files to DVD. I set it to fit it to 4.3 gigs but it went well over and now i have just over 5 gigs of vob files. DVD Shrink won't use these files because there isn't an IFO file. Is there a way I can make an IFO for these VOB's so then I can use Shrink to compress this down to 4 gigs?

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Try clicking reauthor first, not open disk or image. That should bring up a "browse" type window on the right side of the Shrink screen, allowing you to choose your VOB files from their location on C: drive. Once all are selected and are on the left side of the Shrink screen, do a "backup". Shrink will create new ifo file as well as compress to fit blank disk..

3. evh5150ca

evh5150ca Member

Thanks for the reply but that was one of the first things I tried and nothing shows up in that left hand column after I browse for the files.

4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

When I have use DVD Decryptor in File Mode + Movie Only, it creates VOB files without an IFO. I have been starting Shrink ReAuthor to browse and find these files successfully. After "BackUp" an IFO is created by Shrink.
    Maybe there is another issue rather than lack of IFO. You should be able to browse and find your files, whether or not Shrink can use them. But if they don't open with Shrink, they may not be the standard VOB Shrink is expecting to see.

5. evh5150ca

evh5150ca Member

Well I managed to get WinAvi to complete the conversion of AVI to DVD without error. The problem was that WinAvi was giving me a "major.dll" error. I re ran the prog a few times and finally it finished it.
    In between I was still interested in finding out if there was a way of still salvaging the VOB files and making use of them but I tried everything mentioned and alot more to no avail. Thanks to those who tried to help.

6. davepdp

davepdp Member

I have used IFO Edit to create IFO files in the past. You just open it, click the Create IFOs button at the bottom of the screen. A prompt will ask for the location of the 1st VOB and you can also select the destination directory for the IFOs. I usually use the defaults with pretty good success.