1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How do I connect headphones to a plasma TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HenryCan, Dec 6, 2016.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

My mother has a 42 inch Panasonic plasma TV. We'd like to connect headphones - wired or wireless but we strongly prefer wireless - to the TV. I've looked at the TV and the manual and don't see any obvious way to do it. There are no 1/4 inch (or 1/8 inch) stereo jacks anywhere on the TV that I can find. I've never seen headphones with an HDMI plug or RCA plugs on the end.

I would be astounded if there is no way to connect headphones to a late model TV so I'm coming here in the hope that someone can tell me how to do it.

The *only* thing I can think of is that we can direct the audio from the TV into an external stereo amplifier that we already have - she bought it with the TV but has pretty much always just used the TV's built-in speakers - and then plug wired headphones into the headphone jack. A guy at Best Buy told me that it's possible to buy something called a BlueTooth tower which would connect into that headphone jack, then connect a set of BlueTooth headphones to the tower wirelessly. Is that a reasonable approach? Or is there some way to connect headphones directly to the TV which might be even better?

I'm open to various approaches but would prefer to come up with a fairly inexpensive solution; I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I can spend $50 or $100.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There'd need to be an audio out of some sort on the tv to get a signal to the external amp by means of RCA cable or Headphone Jack,the latter doesn't exist which leaves the former

your second to last paragraph is confusing.If the Amp was bought with the tv how can it be used if there's no connection on the tv for it by way of RCA cable or something

If the tv is late enough it will most likely already have bluetooth which means all that's need is a bluetooth headset no tower necessary.

That BT tower you mention will have the same issue as the amp apart from buying more crap "how is it supposed to connect to the tv" especially if the tv ain't got BT

There is an option of making your own phone jack,this requires removal of rear panel & separating wires to the speaker ,then connecting the wires to a 3 way slide switch or such like to divert audio to onboard or headphone depending on what your using

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

Sorry about my confusing wording. Let me try again.

My mother bought an amp and two good speakers to play the audio from the TV but stopped using it over time, relying on the speakers built-in to the TV. I suspect she got tired of having to operate another remote just to adjust the volume. Naturally, the amp *is* connected to the TV - probably via RCA cables - but since she prefers to use the built-in speakers, I was hoping for a solution that didn't rely on the amp, although it's certainly an option if a solution that uses the TV alone is too.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion that the TV already has bluetooth. That would be wonderful if it is true. But shouldn't I have seen some mention of Bluetooth in the manual or even just a Bluetooth logo? The TV is about 10 years old; I'm not sure when Panasonic started putting Bluetooth in their TVs. Maybe it's a bit too old to have Bluetooth? The TV is a Panasonic TV-P42S1 and I've just gone over the manual again, quite carefully, but I still see nothing about Bluetooth, or headphones. Is it safe to assume that this TV does *not* have Bluetooth or is it "hidden" somehow?

If the TV *is* lacking BlueTooth, then I have to find a solution that uses the external amp, right? Either plug a set of headphones into the headphone jack or use a BlueTooth tower, right? Or are there other options?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Regarding bluetooth,i only mentioned it in passing,as i can't know if the tv has it since there is no model number posted.Apart from the fact you have the tv there.You would've seen BT in the menu plus like you say 10 years is a bit old

ok! if you want heaphones but wireless you can get them,they don't have to be BT,I have a pair.The receiver unit requires mains power & connects into the headphone jack,this then transmits to the headphones,the down side is needing batteries,mind you lithium-ion seem to last ok

An example of the type i'm talking about
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/MH2001-Black-5-in-1-Wireless-Headphones-w-Mic-Emitter-FM-Radio/44577489

5. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

I think I may go with a BlueTooth solution after all. I did some research and realized I don't need a full BT tower, just a BT transmitter. I'm in Canada and found a well-reviewed affordable BT transmitter and BT headphones. It's going to cost a little more than I'd initially envisioned but I'll buy it as a Christmas present for my mother; she was going to be the main user anyway.

Here are the headphones: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00F54Y6GU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza.
    Here is the transmitter/receiver: https://www.amazon.ca/TaoTronics-Wi...138674&sr=8-50&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter

Both units support Bluetooth 4 and APTX which is supposed to ensure that the headphones don't lag noticeably. She can also use the headphones with her laptop to listen to music if she wants since the laptop has built-in Bluetooth.

Do you think this will work okay for my intended purpose? I'm not familiar with either manufacturer so I'm taking a chance but the reviews seem very favourable so I feel like this should do what I want without any big gotchas.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Looks like it will work & as you say they seem to have good reviews