1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Convert PAL to NTSC Format?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by TheBeagle, Feb 26, 2005.

1. TheBeagle

TheBeagle Member

I have some DVDs that were originally recorded in PAL (European) format. They won't work on my Home DVD Player (USA). Can someone tell me a reasonable way of converting these PAL discs to NTSC format. The easier the better. Thanks. TheBeagle

2. Flyeramx

Flyeramx Member

It is a lengthy process. You will likely be looking at 5 or 6 hours to convert a 2 hour program (with a 2.4G processor.
    I use dvdsanta (weird name but it works).
    Or, you can get a multi-standard dvd player.....

Ron

3. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Also you lose ALL preauthored menus ( the menus that are already in the DVD) the conversion process removes them as far as I know.. Might be able to dind a conversion tool/process that keeps the menus nowadays

4. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

The lastest beta version of http://www.svcd2dvd.com/ does PAL to NTSC conversion.

It's $20 to register if you like it.

So far I haven't figured out much about it as I just got it.

5. diverj

diverj Regular member

Not that I have many PAL but I just record it to my ReplayTV and download it to my PC. From there, just author the MPEG to a DVD-R

6. algonzo

algonzo Guest

Too much work. If you already have a DVD copy SW, then download DVD region free SW, (30 day trial) and it copies any region and converts to region free, plays on any player.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  7. diverj

diverj Regular member

Algonzo,
    Region, Region Free is not the same as PAL (European TV Standard) and NTSC (American TV Standard). If one does not have a DVD Player that can play PAL (your computer will) the player just will not work. Even if its Region Free, it would still be in PAL and not playable on American TV.

8. algonzo

algonzo Guest

Well, it may be PAL, but since I work in Germany, were
    the movies are PAL, after I burn them on my PC they play on my TV and DVD player, which by the way are both
    RCA American made NTSC output. I even mail movies to my sister in the states and she has no problem seeing them on her JC Penny TV I beleive her player is Magnavox.