1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convert Quicktime files?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rbeau, Jan 30, 2007.

1. rbeau

rbeau Member

Hi, this is my first time to the boards by recommendation of Geek Squad since he didn't know the answer to my question off-hand. I also called the manufacturer of my digital camera (Panasonic) and they couldn't help me either!! So I am hoping I can get some help here.

Anyway, I got a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 digital camera for Christmas this year. I took 4 clips of video with it (two that are about 30-seconds long and two that are about 4 minutes long). I want to upload it to photobucket or youtube so I can share the video BUT the 4 minute videos are too big of files to be accepted onto the free versions.

So, I have DVD-burning software and video-editing software on my computer BUT they will not open my video files because the files will play ONLY in Quicktime. I do not have Quicktime Pro and don't think it is necessary to buy it for the limited amount of work with video that I do.

I downloaded Windows Media Encoder to try to change the file type (it is currently a .MOV file) to something else that I can work with and edit my video. But it says it is an invalid source and it won't do anything.

So long question short: How can I convert my video files into something that I can use in Windows Media Player or other types of Window's programs?

2. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

3. rbeau

rbeau Member

Okay, now, are you sure that it will work because like I said in my original post, I downloaded Window's Media Encoder and that said it would accept .MOV files but yet when I tried to do it, it would not.

But i'll give it a try...

4. rbeau

rbeau Member

Yup, just as I thought. I downloaded the suggested converter and it doesn't work. It says I have a corrupted file or something and need to check with Quicktime.

What do I do?!?!?! I just want my video!

5. June_0606

June_0606 Regular member

If your source file is ok,you may need a codec for mov file.Without right codec,the converter can't work for you.

6. rbeau

rbeau Member

Okay, downloading the codec linked allowed me to use Win AVI Video Converter and actually convert the files to WMP (or whatever file opens in windows media player.) BUT I only have the free version of it and I a NOT paying $30 bucks to buy a program when I do very very little work with video. So there's the stupid "buy the entire version for only $29.99" stuck in the middle of the video ... are there any free converters out there? I do also have windows media decoder (not sure if that is the same thing or not) but that program won't even open my video files.