1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i convert vob , ifo files so they can play and be burned

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pimp"c", Aug 11, 2003.

1. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

a friend used a dvd burner to record a movie off tv, (satalite). it would play fine on anything.(pc's, ps2's, dvd players) then i took the dvd and copied it to my pc and then it wouldnt play. even if i burn it, it just list's whats on the disc. and when i select the files and just click play on windows media player it starts to play and then a message pops up saying windows media player has incountered a problem and needs to close. then it will stop playing after a few seconds. any player does the same thing. all i just want to be able to watch it and be able to burn it to a disc that can be played... please someone educate me on what i need to do. thanx

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

You need a software DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD if you want to view DVD files on your PC.

3. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

i have windvd4. why wouldnt it recognize the files the same after i copied them to my pc. cuz i played the original disc on my pc and it played just fine. what do i need to do to get it to play on any viewing program?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Whats the file called that you are trying to load. Not the movie name, but file name and extension?

5. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

now when i try to play a regular movie (original copy from a store) it wont even play i dont know if somthing got jacked up or what but the same message pops up when it starts to play, what could of happened. anybody help?

6. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

reinstall player software.

7. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

the files types from the origianl disc are:
    video_TS BUP File
    video_TS VOB File
    VTS_01_0 IFO File

this is the total amount of files when i used smart ripper they are:
    vts_02.idx IDX File
    vts_02_1.vob VOB File
    vts_02_2.vob VOB File
    vts_02_0 IFO File
    vts_02.d2v D2V File
    vts_02.lst LST File

when i burned the ripped files to a dvd, and inserted it into my dvd player on my pc all the dvd programs recognized the disc but now even any movie i try to play doesnt work. i think the burned ripped files will play but now i have the problem of none of my players will play anything that same message pops up. can somebody help... thanx

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Download DVD Decrypter and rip with them. I think it may have something to do with the settings of smart ripper when looking at your output files. In DVD Decrypter, make sure to Rip in File mode IFO 1

9. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

well i got the disc to play on a different pc. so i know that it is burned and ripped right. i do have dvd decrypter but i didnt use it i used smart ripper. and now when i try to play any movie it doesnt work i get that message. so either my lazer lense is bad for reading dvds or i just need to reinstall the programs. what does that sound like to you, has anybody had these problems. this is on my laptop i was told that from the laptop being handled rough it can cause the dvd reading lense to be ruined.

what do you guys think? thanx for all the help

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Did u try it on a standalone as DVD ROMs can be a lot more forgiving than a standalone player?

11. Pimp"c"

Pimp"c" Member

ok i got it to work i ripped it and burned it correctly. and it plays fine. i think the problem was my pc had real player, and windvd on it. a friend of mine who works for compaqe knows a lot about pc's and programs he told me that real player cuzes problems and windvd is known for messing up too. so i uninstalled the programs and the problem was fixed weird huh. the version of windvd wasnt the latest so i got the newest and everything is fine now and i only have one dvdplayer on my pc. have you heard of the same prblems before?

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I know real player can be a bitch, but WinDVD is very good for DVD playback or mpeg4.