1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i copy vhs to dvd/vcd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mr_fista, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mr_fista

mr_fista Member

my first time on a forum please be patient, i want to put my vhs videos onto disc's,i have an advent t9 with a pentium 4, 2.8 ghz.512 ram i think thats right.i have power producer gold 2, & ulead video studeo 6 which came with a belkin high speed usb2 dvd creator i bought i thought i may need it,my pc has s-video socket,yellow composite socket,scart socket & various audio sockets firewire & usb's.
    the vcr has aerial in & out & 2 scart sockets ext1 & ext2 ihave tried various connections without success.i have also tried a scart from vcr which has svideo plug and 2 audio jacks straight to pc all without success.
    any help would be much appreciated.

2. StormFire

StormFire Guest

Your system is fine. I don`t know much about the software you`re using though or the belking usb2 capture device.

First thing is to make sure you`re using the right scart socket from the vhs. You may need to buy a Scart adaptor which has an in/out switch on it (you`ll need to set it to `out`), Scart on one side and analogue/s-vhs sockets on the other.

I don`t know what input sockets your Belkin has, but hopefully it has the two analogue audio (red and white sockets) and an s-video socket (as s-video is better quality than composite (the yellow socket)).

If the Belkin has those analogue inputs, just connect the vcr via the Scart adaptor to it with the relevant cable/s .

Then it`s up to your software to recognise the Belkin as a capture device. That bit I can`t comment on.

I will say how I do it as a possible future alternative though.....

I use Mainconcept Mpeg Encoder to capture my VHS and hi-8 tapes.... except they are connected to a JVC DX95 mini-dv camera. It can pass-through video to the pc (which I do via firewire). I use the Scart adaptor switch I mentioned above to connect via VHS and the JVC came with an analogue cable to connect from vhs and hi-8. Then the jvc is connected via firewire to the pc, where Mainconcept does the capturing.

I then use TMPGenc DVD Author to make the dvd, and Nero to burn the finished dvd. Photoshop for the dvd cover and a printable cd which I chuck into an Epson R300.

Hope some of that helps until someone better qualified replies.

3. StormFire

StormFire Guest

Or you could just get a decent dvd-recorder (like the LiteOn from www.ebuyer.com) and just record straight from vhs..... you just won`t be able to design your own dvd`s that`s all.

btw if you do get a dvd recorder.... NEVER get a Philips.... nightmare.

4. mr_fista

mr_fista Member

thanks alot i bought an adaptor from maplins.tried it & i had video. i'll see how iget on with the hard work of editing etc.
    thanks again

5. colt_45

colt_45 Member

Hi I used a tevion tv card with capture facility it worked fine with my analogue video camera conected to the composite port but it wont work with my vhs i have tried a scart with video conectors and i get no picture at all, and one with scart to s-video but it only shows picture in black and white can anyone help i have 20 years of home movie to put onto dvd

6. mr_fista

mr_fista Member

i used a scart adapter as stormfire suggested set the switch to out had this pluged into ext 1 on vcr from this ran an svhs and white and red audio into line in sockets, svhs to svhs socket as with audio to my pc.
    the problem now is picture is black and white and no sound when i play recording back on pc, i've tried using windows movie maker and ulead video studio 6 same results with both.
    can anyone help.