1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I create a dvd with an MPEG?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ucdawg12, Sep 4, 2004.

1. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

I guess Nero doesn't author the mpeg2 files correct.
    But once you have authored nero should burn correct.
    Don't use any wizard type menu's in Nero (6.x) dvdr's
    should be burned with the dvd-video option, so not
    a dvd-rom project.
    by that time, you should get a empty video & audio
    (_TS) map(s) you should drag your (full) VIDEO_TS map
    into this project window of Nero, and burn the project.
    DVDLab is a great util. ask again, if you want to know the basics of DVDLab, i use nothing else anymore, only TMPGEncDVDAuthor is very handy for a
    "basic" project, and for removing commercialblocks
    within a movie/tv-episode, with DVDLab you can trim
    only the end, (there are tricks but they are complicated)

Best (when encoding with CCE besic) make a multi-project with CCE Basic, and set start and end
    points where needed, this way you leave out unwanted
    material before encoding, and you don't have the GOP
    header handicap, which MPEG2 has.
    With the avi format you can edit perfect, with DV-avi
    2 to 5 frames tolerance.

2. MirskFree

MirskFree Member

Thanks... I'll be playing more tonight. Here's where I'm at so far though, and any random thoughts are of course welcome. I have used DVDLab to burn three DVDs since yesterday. One played well on both DVD players as well as my PC (DVD-R media) but when I used 'forward' and 'back' buttons it got tempermental and crashed once or twice. My 2nd burn was on DVD+R media and it only played in one of my two DVD players. The third burn was much longer than the first two, back on DVD-R media. Menu worked on both machines, but playing and jumping around was VERY tempermental / crash-prone. More playing tonight... thanks to everyone for getting me even this far.

Also, here's HOW and WHAT I'm doing specifically... if I should change anything to help get better results, please let me know.
    I'm using WOMBLE / MPEG-VCR to open the original video and edit out commercials. It does a decent job of cleaning the video fairly quickly and leaves me with a single MPG-2 file. I do this part on a 533MHz PC with 600 MB RAM, WIN 98. This machine has two jobs ONLY. DVArchive which sucks my shows off the ReplayTV unit and Womble / MPEG-VCR for commercial cutting and saving as MPEG-2. That's it. No email client, no internet browsing... a dedicated PC for copying and cleaning MPG files.
    I then use an 800MHz PC to Author and Burn. I'd LIKE to use one program for everything, and since Nero was free, it's for me, but if it's going to give me cr@p, I'll stick with DVDLab... but it isn't working perfectly yet either... much better, but unstable / unpredictable.

3. rjhnyc

rjhnyc Member

I just got SonicMyDVD to convert my analog 28 minute videos to DVD with "ATI All in Wonder". I was successful with 2 burns (utilizing straight to DVD option)before it started to crap out on me.
    Now it does not complete burns. Its asking me to save file which I do, and then attempts to burn but gives me error messages like media upload "Timeout", and "could not complete last command because: devise error- sense code (5 21 02)- Invalid address for write incremental- streaming write (DVD Err, 336130)" and also "fpgc time= 2456.95"
    What is going on , and how do I correct??
    Incidentially- it appears the projects are saved as .dvd files, but again, refuses to burn onto discs...

Also, how can i utilize these .dvcd files? Do I need to upload a seperate program to complete incomplete burns from .dvd to actual disc? Please help- Rog

4. regor

regor Regular member

Might as well jump in here... TMPGenc is a 'try and buy' application, they also have an express version for folks that like GUI... try it and see if you like it; worst case is that you convert for free during the trial period :)

Simple approach would be to use TMPGenc to create m2v and mp2 of the original mpeg2 then use ifoedit96 (free) to convert the m2v/mp2 to ifo, using ifoedit DVD authoring feature. From there you can even create an ISO (remember to have your IFO's in a VIDEO_TS folder) and then burn your DVD with Decryptor (also free) - eliminating Nero.

Don't you hate it when i jump in??? :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]regor[/small]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  5. regor

regor Regular member

Since my last post I have tried out DVD Santa to burn avi and mpeg movies to DVD; I must say it is nothing less than impressive. A 2 step process if no editing is involved. Very clean.

So if editing is involved and you have no need to re-encode the avi or mpeg to a different format check out VirtualDub (FREE) (my last post I was advocating TMPGEnc, but that best suited for re-encoding from avi or mpeg1 to mpeg2 or mv2).

I hope this commentary has been useful. R

6. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

And it's a freebee ?

7. regor

regor Regular member

If in reference to DVD Santa being free, unfortunately not. They have a $29US price tag on it.

R

8. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Yeah, that's what i mean, before helping someone,
    it's good to say, if they need to spend money,
    or maybe advice, using their already owned, or free
    software, only there after give advice to use pay-ware...
    I never heared of dvd santa, it's name sounds like
    a too good to be true kind of util.... (1st of April?)

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"ve used DVD Santa and it is a total Newbie Program were you have absolutly no controll of the the encodeing and authoring Perameters but being such it is extremely easy to use.....

It seems to be the Type of Program for poeple who don"t want to learn how to do it Properly and don"t care about the quality very much.....

10. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

I guess it wouldn't satisfy me, i even stopped using
    TMPGEncDVD-Author, although it's a quality util.
    but it has its limits.
    With me, i like to be in control, i don't want to
    make something, where people can say: "Oh, he made
    that with that util." And authoring with DVDLab,
    gives you a lot of "freedom" to do so.
    I noticed, sincen i use a sat. receiver for source
    to my ADVC100 (semi s-video) i can compress more,
    and still have good quality result.
    btw. my sat. receiver gives black&white image on tape, when i switch my input of my S-VHS recorder
    to s-video input, does this mean i have a "fake"
    s-video output on my sat. receiver ?

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

It could mean that the Luma and Chroma chanels are mixed in the S-video output ,simular to RCA outputs and when that Happens some devices will only read the Luma chanell which will give you a Black and white Image.....

12. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

So it isn't a real s-video output ?
    (is it repairable ?)
    okay, it wasn't a expensive one...

I'm looking for a (stable) receiver, to record
    from, (switching channels remotely) or a good PVR with hard disk option, the recordings, (encrypted also) i want to transfer to DVD, (compatible for dvd
    standalone player)

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you are Getting a Black & white picture then there is a chance that it isn"t a real one but I have never heard of a Satalite reciever not useing a Real S-Video output because a fake Output would produce a worse signal than a normal composite RCA Out/Input...
    And if the Reciever also has RGB outputs or YCR Outputs then I can bot see why there wouldn"t be a real S-Video output......

It could be that your VCR uses a 7 Pin S-video Input and your Reciever uses a 4 Pin Output or Visa Versa...

I am Not very knowledgeable in this area but I know that some 7 Pin and some 4 Pin S-Video connections are not totally compatible with each other and some electronics companies will not make S-Video Input/Outputs so they are totally compliant with industry standards.....

Cheers

14. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Thanks for this info ! yes, it has also RGB,
    that i use for my tv, and works ok, i will check
    the things you mentioned.
    btw. come to think of it, i have the same when using
    the SCART conections, i guess this makes it even
    worse..:(