1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I disable Macrovision when copying from VHS to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mark40, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Mark40

Mark40 Member

How do I disable Macrovision when copying from VHS to DVD using a DVD recorder (not a burner)?

I have a huge collection of VHS tapes that I want to convert to DVD, so yesterday I bought a Pioneer DVR-220 DVD recorder at Walmart because I've read lots of posts that say that Pioneer DVD players and recorders are the best or at least "one of the best".

So then as soon as I got home from Walmart yesterday, I hooked up the DVD recorder so that the input of the DVD recorder is connected to the output of my VCR (using composite cables) and the output of the DVD recorder is connected to the input of the TV (also using composite cables).

But now I'm very disappointed because every time I try to copy one of my VHS tapes to DVD, my DVD recorder refuses to do it because the VHS tape has Macrovision copy protection!

Well, some of my videotapes are from video that I took myself with my camcorder, and I'm sure that I could copy those to DVD's, but 90% of my VHS tapes are commercial videotapes that I bought from Blockbusters or from E-bay.

Now I'm pissed off that I spent $248 for a DVD recorder that can only copy personal videotapes or record TV shows off the air!

So my question is: Is there any way of hacking my Pioneer DVD recorder so that it can copy Macrovision-protected VHS tapes?

Or if it would be too difficult to hack my DVD recorder, then I'll get a refund for it, so then I'd like to know which brands of DVD recorders would copy commercial VHS tapes regardless of whether or not the videotapes are Macrovision-protected.

2. cruester

cruester Member

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think any stand alone players will break any copy protection.

3. colw

colw Active member

Have a look at the response provided by drchips in the thread started by srelov above.

This may help resolve your problem.

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

A video clarifier should work, in line to the DVD recorder. Its old school for old media.

5. Mark40

Mark40 Member

Could you please give me a link to a place where I can buy a "video clarifier"? And is it the same as an "image stabilizer"?

Also, what if I bought an "RF Modulator", which would convert a composite signal to an RF signal? If I connected an RF Modulator between the composite output of my VCR and the RF input of my DVD Recorder, then would that record the video without the Macrovision?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I don't have a link because it has been a while. You will have to search a bit. But if you have a lot of tapes it maybe worth it.

An rf modulator won't help but you may need one use the cheaper rf line clarifiers.

7. DVD4Life

DVD4Life Member

8. hbraun

hbraun Member

Try to use a video converter. A video converter converts the video signal from the RCA output from the VCR to the S-VHS signal. Connect the VCR RCA jack output to the RCA input of the video converter and then connect the S-VHS output from the converter to your equipment. In most converters this process removes the Macrovision protection.
    You may find video converters in most electronics stores and I believe in the range of $ 50.

9. xolx

xolx Member

10. jmsnyc

jmsnyc Member

Are there any software based macrovision removers? I am trying to record from a vhs tape to my pc but the video keeps coming out green and I believe this is due to the macrovision protection.