1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I edit a VR DVD from a ILO on to a computer movie making program?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Outofline, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Outofline

Outofline Member

I have copied my home camcorder tapes to my ILO then to a DVD. Now I would like to further edit them on my computer using editing programs I have (Studio 8) or even better a new one I just down loaded that looks pretty cool (Avid Free DV). Is there anyway to get my video to these programs to edit them?

Guess I am just using my ILO to be a Analogue to digital converter. Is there a better way to do the A/D conversion and capture to the computer with out the ILO? I have tried a capture card allinwonder 9000 and it plain old sucked with horid capure results.

Wes

2. pants100

pants100 Member

The best way I found (in the good old days when my bloody ILO worked - see thread below!) was to simply "rip" the DVD (I used a RW disc) using any ripping software (Magic DVD Ripper is excellent) to an avi then edit this in video studio etc. Worked a treat for me and its SO much easier than the horrible "split" function on the machine itself.

Hoep this helps.

3. shrunkit

shrunkit Member

Why not use a firewire card and Adobe Premiere or Videostudio and others to do your capture/editing of DV from your Camcorder in the first place (assuming you got DV on your camcorder and a firewire equipped PC. This is a better nearly lossless editing compared to MPEG2 but will require a more capable PC to process the video.

The other way is to have what the previous poster suggest, that is to rip it (free tools such as DVD decrypter or DVD shrink works for some DVD-VR, try the IFO mode). MPEG2 is "lossy" and not frame by frame editable, but for most purposes, it is takes less disk space and works fine.

4. Outofline

Outofline Member

These DVD were recorded fro 8mm and hi 8 tapes with no firewire capable players, thats why I bought the ILO.

I will play with decrypter this weekend and see if I can make it work. Do I not need a AVI file to edit?

5. pants100

pants100 Member

AVI or MPG. Decryptor will, I think, create VOBs for you, which arent much use for editing. Try a true ripper (as I said, Magic is very good as the quality remains bang on unlike other rippers which I have found to compress it too much and give the "jpg" look)which will dump out a single AVI and then you're all set.

6. Outofline

Outofline Member

Just the other day I with my new DV camcorder captured a couple 60 min tapes and edited them using Pinical Studio 8 then burnt them to DVD. All I can say is what a pain in the butt! It took nearly 12 hours and used 35 gig on my computer. And it would only let me burn 1 hour (give or take) worth on to one DVD-R at 100% quality. My Ilo will put 2 hours on with no compression. I ended up selecting 62% quality to burn my whole project. Is this normal with burning from editing programs.

The Ilo is so much simpler and quicker, I'm thinking I will just stick with the Ilo burns and call it good!

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005