1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i fix this mess??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by limelight, Dec 21, 2004.

1. limelight

limelight Regular member

the videos i make all seem to have one problem- toward the end of it, the video gets blocky and freezes, and then the audio is now out of sync for the last 15-20 mins. what am i doing wrong?

2. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

im a newb at dvd burning but i read up on all of it 2 weeks before i got my pc =) anyway ur taking up to much of the disk and u are burnign the edge of the disc to solve this you must change the size u wanna use to 4,360 to avoid any errors how this help

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yeah, what xenokai said, and also use HIGH QUALITY media to burn on.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello limelight, what media are you using and how fast are you burning? I keep my my target at 4300 mbs. Some media has uneven dye "poor media" and the outside edge of the disc can cause those problems. The outside edge is also where your fingers touch.By not burning the outer edge of disc,we need to keep that target size anywhere from 4300 to 4360 mbs. The poor media can cause this same problem and many others, anywhere on the disc.

5. limelight

limelight Regular member

thanks for the advice guys. i use memorex dvd-r's at 4x speed.
    so just compress the movie a bit more and it'll be all set? sounds too good to be true, i hope it works! lol

6. limelight

limelight Regular member

btw, what do you consider the best media out there? (dvd-r)

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

memorex dvd-r are poor quality. The best media is verbatim, i use ritek.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

ty youdin's are suppose to be the best,if they are not counterfiet.Everyone has their own BEST,depends if their burner and standalones like them and if they have the right firmware to run them.Media is getting trickier these days. Most media,say maxell, is made by many different manufacturers.Quality between these manufacturers can vary. Take verbatim, they use Mcc==mitsubishi chemical,ricohjpn,and cmags. Stay away from cmags. Memmorex uses quite a majority of cmags=cmagnetics.Memorex is not recommeded around here.Verbatim is said to be very good in the - format, the + format are working great for me. Also,the different quantities can vary from manufacturer: 25 cake made by ricoh,the 50 cake of same brand made by cmags. Here is a handy tool that can help identify your blank media: http://dvdinfopro.com Here is a site you can check those codes out and how they rank,however it has not been updated for a while: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm I usually get the + format because that is all my stand alone tv burner will do.The maxell -r4x's did a fine job. They have the yellowtops,code mxl-rg02,but there are counterfiets for them as well. If you buy them in a store, a quick thing to remember is look for the country of manufacturer. If it is made in japan, then they should be high quality.These can be mcc by ty's,fuji, and verbatim. made in taiwan,maybe decent, If made anywhere else,stay away from them.I just picked up a 25 pack of sony -4x and they are doing a great job.Happy Holidays to all

9. limelight

limelight Regular member

i checked out my discs are they read as "prodisc03". on that link that had the "quality meter" these ranked as "2nd class media". so i guess its all the compression thats doing it. ill give it a shot and see what happens.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

second rate media isn't all that bad,How did your memorex check out on dvdinfopro?Did you check your target size for 4300 mbs?

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I think I'd change media, slow the burn speed down. Reducing the size a bit helps if the problem is occuring during the last couple of minutes, but 15-20?
    I burned a few spindles of Memorex and they did the same thing on occasion. The Riteks I use now don't have the same problem. I quit burning faster than 4X and that seemed to help as well.

12. limelight

limelight Regular member

i cant believe how a company can scam consumers in the way where they put there name on the media, but some 3rd rate manufacturer actually makes it.

can someone send me a link to some dvd-r's that are high quality? ( a direct link to the exact product would be ideal.)

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That does suck between high quality brand names using low quality media. It is hard to figure out the good ones. If buying at a local store,look for made in japan. Those should be considered high quality,made by mcc "mitsubishi chemecal co."Made in taiwan,maybe decent or junk. I even have MCC coded media made in taiwan,like verbatim +4x datalife.They are pretty good,but I can tell they are not like the ones i bought "made in japan".Made in singapore,may be ok.If they are made anywhere else,definitely junk. If you are buying them an the net,check out the dvd-r forum room. Someone always always posting sites of good deals and then people will add how they are coded and how they are performing. Those 2 links i posted earlier will help out. Later

14. limelight

limelight Regular member

Thanks for everyone's help. VERY helpful information, you guys know your stuff... I changed my file size from 4700... to 4300...bytes. Everything works great now. And still using memorex dvd-r 4x. thanks a ton guys!

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey limelight, I am glad lowering the target size fixed your problem. Good Luck with those memorex.