1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I get more than 2 hrs video on dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jimzcatz, May 16, 2004.

1. jimzcatz

jimzcatz Member

I did search,nothing came up. This is my very first post. I have all the necessary software(I think). Standalone dvd recorders will allow up to 6 hours video on one dvdr.Is there anyway to do this on my PC.I am not talking about backing up dvds. I already have the files on my PC.Thanks in advance.
    Jim Scarpine

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Jim,

A resonable amount is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on one disc, as far as movies go.

What kind of files are we talking about here?

3. soulcages

soulcages Guest

4. Manngo

Manngo Member

Hi!

Considering standalone DVD recorders see the difference between DVD-9 and DVD-5.
    DVD-5, is the format, that you can create with your PC. It is half of the other, so if DVD9 is 6 hours, DVD5 is 3.
    You can encode 3 hours to 1 disc, but you should use a good encoder. Choosing a good martix can help in blociness.

5. daba

daba Guest

Hi jimzcatz,

You can play with the settings of your MPEG2 encoder to achieve longer video.

First the bitrate. A DVD-R can contain about 2 hours at 5200 kbps. Just lower the bitrate and will get longer video.

Then the resolution. High-quality DVD is called D1: 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). You can use half-D1: 720x240 or 720x288. This is VHS-like quality. Use a bitrate of 2600 kbps and you'll be able to put at least 4 hours on a DVD-R.

Cheers,

Daba

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Just for the record, Half D1 is 352x480/576 and the other DVD compliant resolution is 352x240/288 (AKA SIF), which can also be MPEG-1 instead of MPEG-2.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm
    Good Guides To Get You Started:[/small]

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  7. daba

daba Guest

Oops, my mistake.