1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Get Started?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by leggettc, Feb 10, 2005.

1. leggettc

leggettc Member

I would like to start making backup copies of my purchased DVD's. I have never done this before and have no idea where to start. I have read the equipment section of the forum as well as the guides but still need a little help here. What I need to know is, will my current equipment work, what other equipment will I need and what software? I would like to make one disk copies of my movies. I don't want to split a movie on 2 disks. I have a Dell Computer with Pent. III 1 Gig processor, 256MB RAM, Windows ME, Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612. If someone can tell me what is the proper equipment and software and where look, I will be happy to research but just need a starting point. Thanks

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

BASICALLY

use dvd decrypter to rip the dvd to your hard drive! (takes out copy protection etc...)

then use dvdshrink to compress your ripped files to a dvdr size disc. set dvd shrink to burn with dvd decrypter (you see this on backup etc... settings)

now for guides on this follow the links by my picture! below.

3. leggettc

leggettc Member

Forgot to add in my original post...I have a 40 gig HD whish is about half full. I also want to play the copies on my home DVD, a Denon DVD Player. Thanks for the reply but will I need to add equipment..if so, what is best and will what I already work well enough to not take hours to make a copy? Thanks

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

about 1 hour alltogether!

and you only need the 2 apps! FREE APPS!

aswell as a dvdr burner and discs!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Rotary,

you put that very well, all you need is those two apps which is really free, blank medias and a dvdr burner.
    ;)

Ghost...

6. leggettc

leggettc Member

Rotary,
    Thanks...now couple more questions.. When it comes to DVD burners, should I go with one of the new dual layer burners or just a cheap one? Any suggestions? Also, what speed burner and what is the best media to use..DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc? I don't want to go out and buy the wrong hardware or media.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It wouldnt hurt to get a dual layer burrner. Even tho the price on Double Layer disc are up in price now which should come down in time. But anyway you can still burn single layer disc with a Dual layer burnner.

As of what is good media for you to get, whatever DVD Burner you buy should give recemdations of what brand DVD blank Media you should use.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

i like pioneer i have a 106D now, but i am thinking of a 109! they just come out about £55 in the UK.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Another area woth looking into would be your operating system.. Try getting the upgrade to XP you will have much less problems backing up DVD's with XP. I am not saying it can't be done in ME, but everything will be much smoother if you install XP. You probably should upgrade your memory at least another 256MB. DVD authoring puts a whole bunch of strain on your processor so try to keep everything else on your computer from running while backing up your movie.

Heres a little guide that should help create a succesfull back up with Free programs. http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

Good luck!!