1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I go from SVCD to VCD without losing too much quality??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by skins38, Jan 16, 2003.

1. skins38

skins38 Member

I have a 4 CD rip of LOTR2, it's soo clean but it's SVCD so it won't play on my standalone.

I use TMPGenc to convert, and it's nowhere near the quality level of the original file.

There has to be a way to get the 800mb/50min clips onto a VCD without killing all the quality,

someone talk to me...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Glo-ry beeee the Funk's on me.....[/small]

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Did you use 'High Quality' for the 'Motion search precision' parameter? Also, adding a touch of 'Noise Reduction' filter helps the over all perceived quality of the VCD.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

Sorry, but vcd does not come near the quality of svcd. I make both because I have friends that have dvd's that only play vcd's. When I compare them to the svcd's, there is none. Vcd is limited because of the fixed stream rate of 1150. Svcd can go as high as 2500. This makes all the difference in the world on scenes with a lot of action. The best you can hope for is to set tmpgenc motion precision to highest quality and hope that helps a little.