1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i know if i have a mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by bgrocks, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bgrocks

bgrocks Member

i bought my ps2 in Dubai where things are ususally modified. the console plays NTSC and PAL and it also plays pirated games. But i have downloaded ISO games but cannot get the them to play. from the above, i think that the console is chipped but how do i check? also what am i doing wrong with the ISO games? How do i fix?

Thanks
    bgrocks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Well, you could have several problems. But when you boot the PS2 is there any non-PS2 messages that come on the screen that may give you a clue. Like does it say Matrix or Toxic or anything like that?

If you are new to burning games then the problem may just be that you are not burning them right or on the right type of DVD. So you need to provide a lot more information if you need help. If it plays both PAL & NTSC without swap discs, and burned games that others have made then it is a modchip for sure. And the problem is that you are not making your games correctly when you burn them.

3. bgrocks

bgrocks Member

i am using LG dvds. my dvd burner is a few years old with a low write speed. could that be the problem? there are no messages when its reading the disk. the playstation 2 splash comes on then the screen is black for a couple of minutes, then it says unable to read disk.

thanks

4. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Oh you are using LGs!? i heard they are crap media. You need to use better discs. Like Sony DVD-R, which are really good. Always burn at 1x speed with good media, and you'll have a damn good working game. Also, upgrade your firmware.

5. bgrocks

bgrocks Member

okay will get some sony dvds. update which firmware?

6. steimy

steimy Active member

the firmware for you DVD burner in your PC. And 1X is ok but if you use 8X or 16X DVD's then i suggest 4X burning speed as 1X is too slow. Most of the time if you watch the log on IMGburn or DVD Decrypter it will tell you what speed you set it to burn at and what the actual burn speed was. Most of the time the default is about half the max speed of the DVD you use. Like when i do 8X DVD's i can set it at 1X but it will still burn them at 3.8X so i just have always set it to 4X

1X burning speed was the old standard when 4X DVD's where what everyone was using. The new standard is to burn at half the max speed of the DVD you use. Since i always use 8X DVD's 4X is what i always burn at, and i also use 4X for any 16X discs that i have used which is very rare for me. Buying media online is both cheaper and will give you a better selection, and Newegg.com has some of the best prices. Supermediastore.com would be my second choice.

7. bgrocks

bgrocks Member

i used the latest version of IMGburn and it did not work. form watching it go, it burned at around 1X. is that too slow for the disk to work properly?

8. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Did you use good CDs? and i always burn at 2x and it works.

9. bgrocks

bgrocks Member

thanks for all the help. i tried it again with different disks and everything works perfectly. i didnt realize that there could be so much difference between disks - LG are total crap.

thanks again