1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i know if my dvd burner is broken?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by chrisadna, Mar 5, 2005.

1. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

hi everyone. please help me if you can. i am backing up some films that i have onto piodata 8x super grade a media which i have been told is ritek go5 dye so i thought they would be good quality, although i am having to throw away more than 80% because they can not be read in my dvd player. nothing has changed from previous sucessful burnings except for the media. i would like to know if it is possible that my actual burner is broken. how would i know? it is burning cd's alright. any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How does your pc play those piodata 8x's? That burner drive should play it's own backups.

Stand alone players not playing dvdr's is a very common problem. It can come down to what brand of media/format/ and how fast they were burned.

You said 80% of them cannot be detected in the player,so I take it you are using a separate stand alone player.Let me know if I am wrong.

Do you get:some sort of no disc inserted inserted error?

How fast did you burn them?

Many many possibilities, please answer these ??? and any other info on the process of what and how you are trying to backup.

It's probably something simple like a media or format change,and that is the usual fix. Very common issue here at ad.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thankyou so much for replying. i will try to answer as succinctly as i can.
    i always burn dvds at 4x and the errors i am getting on the before mentioned media vary. in most, the backup plays alright until the last 2 chapters on the disc and then freeze and have to be ejected from the standalone dvd player. some of the erronous backups play fine in my pc, but some of them begin to autoplay anf freeze powerdvd so i have to quit the programme. i have burnt onto a rewritable disc today with no problems so i am now thinking it must be the media. but how can such a high volume of the discs be corrupt when they are said the be ritek go5?
    i am using nero for my backups with no need for any other decyrption programme as i am backing up other backups and have done so sucessfuly before.
    some of the problem backups are leaving my tv screen black and nothing can be done to get anything off of the disc, whereas others are loading and sticking at the end.
    i am not getting a ' no disc error' message.
    thanks for the help.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Since you are using nero, try using the surface scan tool to find out if there are any errors on those backups that are ok,and the ones that you are tying to re-rip.

After re-reading your last post again, you are trying to re-rip backups. This can be more challenging.I do this a lot using nero express's disc copy feature. I keep all my backups on good media and burn at 4x.Re-ripping them are are a breeze. Re-ripping backups off of lower quality/or burned too fast backups can be tougher.It all depends on the errors on those first backup copies.

If the dvd-rom can't read that original backup, then re-ripping them is going to be tough.

Were those backups burned on a different burner?

Those discs you are trying to recopy, are they the same ritek go5's?

Can you try to rip them to your hard drive? Try dvd decrypter in ISO read/Iso write. Or try dvd shrink and see if they can get through the encoding process. Dvd decrypter also has a burn engine.

Also, get a small pack of maxell's. They are a good brand with pretty good manufacturers no matter which spee/spindle size/and format you get. Very safe.

5. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thanks again for your help. where do i find the surface scan tool that you mentioned? will it show up any fault?
    also, i always use ritek discs although i used sum-evision discs before with few problems.
    i would still like to know if there is any way i would know if my burner was the oroblem. i have heard that the lasers can breakdown. is this true?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey chris, insert one of those backups in your dvd drive-let's hope it recognizes it. Click out of the players that will pop up.

Open up nero/click dvd tab on top right corner/go to extra's on the very right top corner.

Click extras and then click on test drive icon.

You should see a graph,and you have a place to scroll to find your drive for that dvdr backup. Then click on the start button and let nero do it's job on scanning that backup. You want all green, a little yellow may be ok,but definitely don't want any red pixels.

Try the same on one of the discs you have problems with it.

In that same graph window, you have a tab on top that says extras, use this to find out if your backup is dvd-r/dvd+r/ and some burners will allow you to book type those dvd+r's to dvd-rom. This is how I do it on my burner on +r media only. The booktype to dvd-rom will make those backups more compatable. You can also find out the exact manufacturers code and find out if they are true go5's.

That is how I check on my nero express oem 6.0.0.21b. Let's hope your version is close.

7. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

hi. i have done exactly what you said and have tried:
    1. a backup that won't work on my standalone dvd player.
    2. a backup that i have had for a long time and has been a succesful backup ( watched today and is fine).
    when i ran the scan programme on the first and faulty disc it said it was a ritek go5 disk and was a dvd-r. i never use +r's. the programme ran and i had 2 lines. a yellow one that stayed at about the number 2 on the chart and a green line which started at number2 steadyly increased until the programme abruptly stopped about three quarters of the way through the disc and a message popped up saying:
    error. unrecovered read error(031100).
    the sucessful backup had 2 lines also, a green started at 2 and rising to a little over 6x and a yellow that stayed at a constant line at about number 2. does this help at all? can i ask, what are you actually looking for?

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Mine usually start out as green, it then keeps going across the screen,then drops down to the next line down,and etc until it reaches my backup size of 4.36 gigs. I haven't found any burn errors on my ty's that I checked out. If it failed during this scan,then it sounds like that backup is no good.

I haven't really used it much,just on some sony +1x-8x ty's that I picked up at staples.I only buy good media-I test them out by maxing out the burn speed, and then try to re-rip them.I haven't had any issues,but I still burn at 4x and re-rip that copy to burn at 4x.

Can you try to re-rip using dvd decrypter? Since those backup discs are under 4.4 gigs, using decrypter: iso read/ and then iso write. Then you will be burning with dvd decrypter, a different burning program. This is a more powerful ripper for problematic discs. If that fails, then go into decrypter's preference tab, set it for "rip with brute force" and "ignore all read errors". It's a free and handy program.

Here's a handy guide for this program and others as well: http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Since those discs are having trouble on the ending chapters, Uneven dye may be the problem. That is why I always keep my backup target set at 4360 mbs. Burning to the edge of a disc can cause problems.

Good Luck

9. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thankyou so much for all of your help, but i would still like to know how you would know if your burner was broken without going through endless discs. also, how do i set the target to 4360 mbs and will this effect the quality of the back ups?

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You said you wanted to know if your burner went bad,but being able to still burn cd's then all hope is not lost. The only thing you changed was switching media. That is the most common problem for dvd burning. Media can do many crazy things to a dvd burner,errors,burn errors,throwing you pc for a loop. What brand and format were you using when it was burning good,before those go5's?

I am not sure about setting targets to 4360 mbs in any other program than dvd shrink.It helps when you have playback problems on the end of those backup discs. Being re-rips,if they had problems on the outer edge of disc when they were burned,you will even have more trouble trying to re-copy them.

Since that dvd player does not play those backups, try them on someone elses players. The more players you try them on,then it will help tell what the problem is.

Try some rw's to save on the coasters.

11. ppiper

ppiper Member

u could try updating that nero oem version u have to the newest version i just updated and installed a benQ drive and a nero 6 oem on a friends pc (this oem no burning rom or showtime) everthing else works fine) i had major problems backing up movies with it until i updated it. take in mind if u update it and it dont work get nero cleaning tool from their site and uninstall and reinstall.(simple)

12. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

i do not think the problem is nero. and if i uninstall it i will cost me to re-install it won't it as i do not have the original discs for the programme anynore.i would really really like to know if there is any way you would know that it was time to get another burner. mine is a lite-on dvdrw ldw 451s. have you had a time when you thought it was time to replace the burner? if so, how did you know?

13. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

it is me again, sorry. to answer your question, i did yesterday burn the same movie i am trying to backup, successfully onto rewritable and watched the whole film with sucess, so am i to infer that the problem is then the media. i used nero to burn the rewritable which was 4.2 gb in size so i don,t think that this film is using the edge of the media. befor i used these current discs, i used sum e-vision dvd-r's with gold tops and had no problems. how can i have so many coasters with what the computer says are ritek go5's. can the computer be mistaken about the true identity of the discs?

14. ppiper

ppiper Member

oops saugmons the one with the oem version misread well i dont know what version ur using but u can get your serial in the program by opening nero start smart and pressing the burning flame (its kind of hidden) write your serial down go to neros site and update if u want and give it a try DONT LOOOSE YOUR SERIAL.

15. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thanks for the info ppiper. this afternoon i have sucessfully backed up a film onto the troublesome media using dvd decryptor and writing at 2x. i don't know whether it was the speed, the change of programme or luck with the choice of disc, but i will do the same again next time to avoid more loss of discs. thanks to everyone for their help.

16. ppiper

ppiper Member

your welcome i found it best for me not to burn a game or movie more than 4x or 2x even better and u should try and get your reads and writes at the same speeds i very rarely get any coasters even with cheap media like the teons i recently used reading and writing at 2x no coasters

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

chrisadna,
    Well it's either bad media or the easier solution which I am kind of surprised wasen't mentioned in this thread.. Your Firmware for your drive needs updated to recognize newer media... Give that a try I am sure you will be amazed of the outcome :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  18. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thanks. i tried updateing the firmware for the drive bu the computer froze during the process so i don't know if it worked.

19. ppiper

ppiper Member

of course chrisandra if u use cheap media you might get bad results with a cheap burner but i have used teons(some cheap media from staples about 5 bucks for 20 at the time and maybe one coaster burning at slow speeds with my sony dru burner and i think thats because i had my pc oced to high but thats besides the point). like bbmayo said u can upgrade your firmware but u have to know what your doing just make sure when u execute the firmware upgrade u point it to the right drive(if u have 2 drives i dont know) and make TOTALLY sure u have the right firmeware for your burner i wouldnt use anything unless its from the manufacturers site. u have alot of options (better media,firmware,update nero software, see if u have any conflicting software, aspi etc.)if u do everything we all mentioned u should be fine. since u already tried to update your firmware u better go ahead and update it and make sure u get the right firmware first the reason i didnt mention it before was because u mentioned u had burned dvds before and i never mess with my firmware unless needed i would just write down my serial, uninstall nero, download nero cleaning tool, clean restart clean again just to be sure, download the latest aspi (JUST SEARCH ASPI ON YAHOO download it and install the right one for YOUR OS simple) install reboot use the checker it comes with to see if its installed properly, install nero fresh , reboot and it should work perfectly. and if u r using a copy of nero with a crack off the net u will get coasters once in a while. if u do all of these things right u should have a perfectly working copy of nero if not u have to do more investigating. dont install IN CD from nero. just the things u need. use good media and burn at low speeds and your movies will be flawless.

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

as BBmayo says go for firmware and then try again....

nero info tool on DRIVES tab will tell you your firmware!